Business Counselor II - (STA012132)
- University of Houston
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 28, 2023
Provides comprehensive business consulting services to small business owners on a wide range of topics. Support may be provided in assigned specialized area or areas.,,,
- Consults with clients throughout the gulf coast region of Texas at the regional office, sub-center locations or through on-site visits.
- Assists clients in analyzing business strengths and weaknesses and developing strategies for improvement.
- Assesses client's management and technical education needs and recommends appropriate training classes.
- Develops and updates specialized training classes and materials for individual clients or groups; may conduct training seminars or presentations.
- Participates in public relations activities; makes speeches and presentations; serves on various committees, etc.
- Remains informed on changes in laws and regulations applicable to area of specialization.
- May assist the director with a variety of administrative duties and responsibilities.
- May provide specialized support in one of the following areas: obtaining contracts with federal, state and local governments; enhancing product commercialization and technology; solicitation of financial support; entering or expanding into international trade.
- Performs other job-related duties as required.
Additional Posting Information
This is a position for individuals with an understanding of doing business with government. The UH APEX Accelerator provides education and guidance to individuals interested in selling their goods and services to government agencies. The primary responsibility for the selected candidate will be to advise individuals in understanding how to do business with government.
The ideal candidate will have worked in a government procurement or small business / supplier diversity office or with a company that has done business with the government, and has gained a basic understanding of:
- The laws and regulations for doing business with government.
- The government systems for vendor registration.
- Socio- and economically-disadvantaged certification programs for small business (minorities, women, and service-disabled veteran-owned small business).
Key abilities and skills for the candidate are:
- Able to work in customer-service environment and provide continuous professional and courteous service.
- Comfortable with public speaking to provide presentations in person and using virtual webinar platforms, i.e., Zoom.
- Proficient in typing and have intermediate skills using MS Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Developing, coordinating, and maintaining team management products utilizing MS Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Recommending clients for special events, newsletter spotlight articles, and preparing support documents.
- Actively participating and contributing to social media content.
Applicants should limit their resumes to no more than two pages.
The selected candidate will also take part in the center’s promotion and business development that may include but is not limited to attending and participating in events within our 32-county service area.
The UH APEX Accelerator Program is funded through a cooperative agreement with the Department of Defense (DoD) and a special line item from the State of Texas. The continuation of all UH APEX Accelerator positions, including this position, are contingent on the continuation of funding from both the DoD and the State of Texas at current funding levels.
UH APEX Accelerator’s services are provided to a 32-county area in and beyond the Greater Houston Metropolitan Service Area. Travel with the use of a personal vehicle is required. Out of town travel may be required periodically for work and training.
This position is located at 1455 West Loop South, Houston TX 77027.
This position may be eligible for Alternative Work Arrangements.
Bachelors and 5 years experience
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed. Requires a minimum of five (5) years of directly job-related experience.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert