Assistant or Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs for Experiential Programs
- Earlham College
- Richmond, Indiana
- Posted Date
- Mar 28, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration, Executive, Other Executive
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Assistant or Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs for Experiential Programs
Earlham College is a Top 100 National Liberal Arts College located in Richmond, IN, a small city that's just a short drive away from several major metropolitan areas including Dayton, Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Chicago.
Richmond and Earlham have a symbiotic relationship. Through research, studies, internships and volunteering, Earlhamites offer Richmond expertise and service as Richmond offers our students the chance to gain valuable, real-world experience. Our community assumes no religious affiliation but follows Quaker principles and practices, which include respect for persons, integrity, a commitment to peace and justice, simplicity, and consensus-based community decision-making. Earlham is committed to and proud of being a diverse and inclusive place most clearly visible in our student body: 20% of our student body are international, coming from 60+ nations in 2022, and 24% are domestic students of color. Faculty and staff also bring tremendous diversity to the College; many have lived and worked outside the United States, and they make a point of drawing on those experiences in their interactions with students. Additionally, Earlham makes it a priority to serve as a safe and welcoming place for LGBTQ+ communities and has a four-star rating on the Campus Pride Index. Our community is characterized by respect for every person and a commitment to social justice. Equity and inclusion are central to Earlham's institutional priorities and our leadership is committed to widening the path to an Earlham education.
Earlham College is seeking an experienced educator and academic administrator to join its team as an Assistant or Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs for Experiential Programs.
Earlham College invites applications for the open position of Assistant or Associate Vice President (AVP) in academic affairs to lead its signature experiential program, the Epic Journey.
The Epic Journey at Earlham College is a four-year exploration of the liberal arts that integrates transformative experiences outside the classroom, including research, study abroad, internships and leadership development, to prepare students exceptionally well for life beyond Earlham.
The AVP is the primary academic administrator responsible for strategic and visionary leadership and oversight of the Epic Journey, including all Epic Centers, Epic Advantage, and Epic-related events. The Epic Centers help students focus their Epic Journey by connecting their interests and academics to real-world experiences like internships, research opportunities and community projects. The Epic Advantage guarantees that every Earlham student has the opportunity to participate in at least one funded, significant career-discerning experience, such as an internship or student-faculty research experience. The AVP has oversight of Epic-related grant programs, both current grants and new grant opportunities. The AVP has several direct reports including Epic Center Directors, the Director of First-Year Success, and those managing the Epic Journey portfolio and projects. The AVP reports directly to the Provost, serves on the Provost’s leadership teams, and works collaboratively with other members of the Provost’s leadership team.
- Overall leadership for the Epic Journey signature student success program, including strategic planning, program development, implementation, assessment, evaluation, and coordination with other areas of the College, including Marketing, Admission, Institutional Advancement, and Student Life
- Leadership and direct supervision of the Epic Centers/Programs Team, including direct supervision of the directors of the Center for Career Education, the Center for Global Education, the Center for Global Health, the Center for Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Creativity, the Center for Social Justice, and the Center for Environmental Leadership
- Oversight of all associated Epic Centers/Programs related budgets, grants and associated programs and personnel
- Oversight of the Epic Advantage program including: High-level oversight of processes and policies of all elements of the Epic Advantage program (research, internships, and projects) Development of recommendations for new opportunities, initiatives, and program improvements as appropriate Gift management, budget, and stewardship in coordination with the V.P. of Institutional Advancement.
- Collaborate with Admission and Marketing & Communications to promote Epic Journey and all Epic Centers/programs to prospective students and other participants as well as program partners. Collaborate with Institutional Advancement to integrate Epic Journey into alumni relations, gift cultivation, and stewardship Strategic leadership of technology platforms directly associated with the Epic Centers/Programs, including Handshake, uConnect, Big Interview, Pathway U, Presence, Terra Dotta, and GoinGlobal, as well as working collaboratively with the Chief Information Officer on the development of new platforms and systems to support Epic-associated educational and administrative outcomes Senior risk management officer for all Epic-associated programs and activities; Occasionally act as senior emergency contact for off-campus research experiences, internships, and programs
- High-level oversight of the Office of Community Engagement, which reports to the Executive Director of Career Education
- Leadership and oversight for the Co-Curricular Portfolio platform, including high-level oversight of all-campus Epic events Leadership of the academic year collaborative research program and coordination/high-level administrative oversight of Summer Collaborative Research Additional duties as assigned
- Master's degree (or higher) with five years of related experience at the level of program director, department chair, or academic administrator
- Demonstrated knowledge of experiential education program management and oversight of complex budgets
- Experience leading a team and managing personnel, including mid-level and senior administrators, as well as instructional personnel
- Experience developing statistical reports and working with data to impact student outcomes
- Understanding and commitment to connecting a holistic liberal arts education to career outcomes (graduate school, professional schools, and workforce).
- Demonstrated ability in fostering a culture that prioritizes diversity, equity and inclusion and an expressed commitment to uphold and further Earlham’s Diversity Aspiration Vision Statement
- Demonstrated experience with competency-based assessment
- Be a positive example and resource to all Earlham Students
Personal qualities: The successful candidate will possess integrity, energy, agility, diplomacy, collegiality, and flexibility. The ideal candidate will possess strong listening and communication skills. The AVP will also be highly organized and genuinely enjoy processes and creating effective systems that empower constituencies of a signature experiential program in a national liberal arts institution.
- Administrative experience in one or more programmatic or service areas directly relevant to the portfolio assigned to this position.
- Experience leading experiential educational programs.
- Experience working with donors and alumni in collaboration with Institutional Advancement.
- Existing familiarity with one or more of the technology platforms listed in the qualifications.
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
- Please submit the following application materials through our Earlham Careers Portal
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Letter of interest Cover letter Please address your thinking and experience with matters of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, as it relates and specifically pertains to this position.
- List of three references with contact information
Earlham College is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse community, one that reflects the makeup of society at large and that particularly welcomes and supports individuals from groups that have been historically marginalized because of factors such as race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class, and physical ability. The College strongly encourages applications from women and people of color. As an institution with a Quaker identity, the College also solicits applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham's Work Authorization Policy
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert