- Georgia Southern University
- Georgia, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 28, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Health & Medicine, Other Health & Medicine
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Environmental Health & Safety Technician
Job ID: 247756
Location: Georgia Southern - Savannah
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
Armstrong Campus - Savannah, GA
Environmental Health & Safety
Provide support for Georgia Southern University EHS program regarding hazardous waste, universal waste or biomedical waste. Respond to emergencies related to hazardous waste. Lead the campus in preventing any related issues. The EHS Technician may also perform similar tasks on the Statesboro Campus to support the needs of the department.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Respond to work order requests for pickups of hazardous waste, universal waste or biomedical waste
- Perform monthly eyewash testing and quarterly safety shower flushing
- Provide assistance with annual certification projects which include: chemical fume hoods and biological safety cabinets
- Assist with lab/shop safety inspections, environmental compliance inspections, and sustainability activities
- Maintain accurate and concise records
- Respond to incidents, customer requests, emergencies and site clean-ups
- Associate's degree or two or more years of post-secondary education/training in environmental protection, health, industrial hygiene, safety, physical science, engineering, chemistry, biology, or related field
- One (1) year of related work experience
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Knowledge of regulations governing EHS programs; experience in higher education, research laboratories, environmental consultation, or comparable institutional environment
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships
Preferred Educational Qualifcations
- Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Sciences or related field
- Forty (40) hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) training
- Three (3) years of related work experience
$17.25 per hour
This is a non-exempt position paid on a biweekly basis.
Required Documents to Attach
- Two (2) Professional References
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Ability to work well in a diverse and inclusive environment through commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Proficiency with computer and Microsoft Office applications software including word processing, spreadsheets, and databases
- Ability to research and apply EHS compliance regulations to site operations
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Knowledge of governmental regulations and applicable industry standards in the field
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational and human relations skills
Apply Before Date
Open Until Filled
Application review may begin as early as September 19, 2022.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at email@example.com.
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request
Legally authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the University.
Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
Proof of valid driver's license upon hire and throughout employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. with or without accommodation
- Exposed to external elements
- Follow all safety policies in performance of work and wear personal protective equipment when needed
- Employee must occasionally work outdoors in varying weather conditions
- Able to work extended hours at night, on weekends, or at special events
- Employee must be able to walk for extended periods
- Ability to use respiratory protection and other personal protective equipment as deemed necessary
- Ability to drive a University vehicle
- This is not a supervisory position.
- Standard, Education, & DMV
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=247756&PostingSeq=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert