Associate Vice President, Information Technology
- Northern Arizona University
- Arizona, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 27, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Human Resources Administration
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Associate Vice President, Information Technology
Location: Information Tech Services
Job ID: 606947
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
Following strategic direction from the Chief Information Officer, this position is responsible for driving institutional success through the implementation, operation, and support of technology infrastructure and application systems. This position will also direct the development, implementation, and monitoring of information security procedures, standards, and technology.
Leadership - 35%
- Applies advanced skills in strategic planning, financial planning, business development, negotiation, and facilitation of work critical to general IT success.
- Provides sound fiscal management, including budgetary role for proper staffing and expenditures.
- Oversees multiple Directors.
- Recognizes areas for department improvement and coordinates resources to address system vulnerabilities.
- Plans and oversees the university's future information technology programs within Information Security, Infrastructure/Platform Services, Research Computing and Academic Computing.
- Collaborates with university, state, and federal auditors.
Security - 20%
- Develops process to assess security risk, risk mitigations, and escalation of risks in the environment.
- Develops information security processes and standards that are aligned to industry frameworks; recommend changes and process improvements, including those based upon identified risks and changes in legal and regulatory requirements.
- Contributes to the design, development, and on-going maintenance of an Information Security Awareness Program.
Infrastructure - 20%
- Provide leadership and vision to the Network and Telecommunications, Datacenter, Experiential Technology, and Cloud Integrations teams. Supervise, hire, train, and evaluate assigned staff. Work with employees to correct deficiencies; recommends and implements corrective action and discipline.
Research/Academic Computing - 20%
- Provide leadership and vision to the Advanced Research Computing and Academic computing teams. Work with employees to correct deficiencies; recommends and implements corrective action and discipline.
- Works to ensure highly performant and reliable solutions meet the needs of researchers.
- Applies intermediate planning, organizing, directing, and facilitating skills.
Other - 5%
- Performs duties of a related nature as assigned by the CIO.
- Master's Degree or PhD in computer science or related field.
- 5-7 years of management experience.
- 4 or more years leading across organizations or job families.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strong understanding of IT Service Management.
- Excellent supervisory, organizational and leadership skills.
- Skilled in technical and financial planning, business development, negotiation, and facilitation of work critical to achievement of goals.
- Expert knowledge of Information Security frameworks/controls and diverse IT architectures.
- Applies advanced planning, organizing, directing, and facilitating skills.
- Knowledge of modern infrastructure and application technologies including servers, storage, networking, databases, client management, data center and cloud services.
- Knowledge of configuration management, change control, risk assessments, exception management and security baselines.
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills and the ability to communicate security and risk related concepts to technical and nontechnical audiences.
- Excellent analytical skills, able to manage multiple projects under strict timelines, work well in a demanding dynamic environment and meet overall objectives.
- Ability to provide input and leadership on decision-making issues affecting the organization.
- Experience managing staff, including hiring, training, and developing staff, assigning tasks, evaluation performance, etc.
Northern Arizona University has a student population of 29,569, including approximately 21,000 on its main campus in Flagstaff and the remainder at more than 20 locations statewide and online.
Committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment, NAU has earned a solid reputation as a university with all the features of a large institution but with a personal touch, with a faculty and staff dedicated to each student's success. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes.
While our emphasis is undergraduate education, we offer a wide range of graduate programs and research. Our institution has carefully integrated on-campus education with distance learning, forming seamless avenues for students to earn degrees.
Flagstaff has a population of about 70,000, rich in cultural diversity. Located at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks, Flagstaff is 140 miles north of Phoenix at intersection of Interstate 17 and Interstate 40.
For information about diversity, access and equity at NAU, see the Center for University Access and Inclusion webpage.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Commensurate with experience.
This is an Administrator (ADM) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or the Optional Retirement Program (ORP); 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at the NAU HR benefits page. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Administrators are hired on a contract basis renewable each year according to terms of the Conditions of Administrative Service. These terms can be found on the Arizona Board of Regents website.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). Employees will have 31 days from date of hire to enroll in benefits, and their benefits will then be effective the first day of the pay period following their completed enrollment. If a new employee chooses the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) retirement option, participation in the ASRS Plan (and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it) will begin on the first of the pay period following 183 days of employment. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP; an alternative to the ASRS plan) will begin to participate on the first day of the pay period following election. The long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following election. More information about NAU benefits is available at the NAU HR benefits page.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This vacancy will be open until filled or closed.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=2&JobOpeningId=606947&PostingSeq=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert