- College of Lake County
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 24, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Instructional Technology & Design (Campus), Business & Administrative Affairs, Business & Administrative Support, Computer Services & Information Technology, Technology Administration/Other, Chief Technology & Information Officers
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Posting Detail Information
Internal Position Title
The Business Analyst is an authoritative contact for technology in Finance supporting Payroll, Finance and Student Accounting. The Business Analyst has a balanced understanding of Finance Department’s business needs and processes and relevant technology and are expected to stay abreast of both business and technology trends and understand how similar areas in other institutions are using technology. The Business Analyst is responsible for the functional use, testing, maintenance and compliance of technology and data related to their area. In addition to these responsibilities, the Business Analyst has functional responsibilities specific to their line of business, associated with the functional use of technologies and the processes related to them. The Business Analyst educates and informs others in their area about College of Lake County’s technology tactics and strategies, and trains colleagues as necessary on maximizing their use of technology and data that are relevant to their needs.
The successful candidate will be a compassionate collaborator with excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills and a demonstrated commitment to the values of the College as reflected in previous professional work. The Business Analyst reports directly to the Controller and will join the Finance team that totals fourteen staff members.
The College of Lake County ( CLC ) offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits that currently includes BlueCross/BlueShield of Illinois health, Delta dental and Superior vision insurance plans, tuition support for employees and qualified family members, three retirement plans, disability, group and supplemental life insurance, health and dependent care flexible spending account plans, a four-day work week in the summer (Fridays off!), generous vacation, sick and personal time off and 14 paid holidays each year.
CLC is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences.
CLC is a DiversityJobs.com Top Diversity Employer for 2022. We not only include Diversity in our values but we demonstrate it in our hiring of Staff and Faculty.
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Information Technology, Information Technology Management or primary discipline in technology and one (1) year of experience in the functional area of work
Associates Degree with one (1) year of experience in a role with formal technology responsibilities and three (3) years of experience in the functional area of work
High school or equivalent with three (3) years of experience in a role with formal technology responsibilities and five (5) years of experience in the functional area of work
2. Knowledge of technologies used in Peoplesoft system .
3. Excellent problem resolution skills and diligent attention to detail and accuracy.
4. Strong business analytics skills to evaluate systems and test data and program logic.
5. Demonstrated effective and polished verbal and written communication skills.
6. Ability to work effectively with a wide range of customers and a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
7. Organized and detail-oriented team player with the ability to prioritize, multi-task and work independently while handling confidential information and exercising sound judgement.
8. Demonstrated ability to clearly explain technical concepts and procedures to non-technical users.
9. Ability to problem-solve, analyze information to make informed decisions and/or recommendations.
10. Ability to work nights and weekends as needed.
1. Bachelor’s degree
2. One (1) or more years of work experience involving in business office and accounting processes.
3. Demonstrated experience and proficient knowledge of Excel, relational databases, SQL, and report writing.
4. Higher Education experience ideally in a community college setting with an innate focus on students and their success.
5. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
6. Ability to make effective presentations online and in small and large group settings.
7. Experience in software implementation in team-based environments.
8. Bilingual Spanish
Expected Start Date
Special Instructions Summary
$57,673 (The salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience)
Total Hours per week
8:00am – 4:30pm Monday – Friday
Software Testing Required
Excel, MS Word, Outlook
Interview Process Requirements
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities.
Summary of Essential Functions
Product/Data Management and Use – 65%
1. Acts as the primary functional technical partner for unit leaders, users and Information Technology staff for the area’s products/applications including but not limited to Finance, Payroll and Student Accounting .
a. Leads unit efforts in data support, configuration, implementation, testing and maintenance.
b. Identifies, analyzes, categorizes and prioritizes their department’s business needs with unit leaders.
c. Assists IT in researching, assessing, selecting, acquiring, and implementing technology solutions that best satisfy those needs.
2. Partners with Information Technology to recommend, design, develop, implement, test and maintain functionality in identified enterprise (College-wide) systems. This includes new initiatives within existing solutions and newly acquired solutions.
3. Leads testing of product patches and upgrades and schedules department application software upgrades to ensure seamless transition to new products and versions.
a. Initiates, interprets and conducts/oversees user testing for all solution changes, enhancements, upgrades and patches.
b. Develops and manages test scripts and scenarios and assist staff during testing
c. Troubleshoots and reports testing issues.
4. Manages and maintains the integrity, accuracy, and regulatory compliance and protection of all data in their area in partnership with leaders and users.
5. Uses data reporting tools and languages ( SQL ) to optimize system efficiency, to manipulate and extract data and provide reports.
a. Provides accurate and timely data in the appropriate format for internal and external reporting, including those related to the College’s key performance indicators and those of state and national regulatory bodies.
b. Designs and creates extracts for data analysis and validation, monitoring processes, and identifying functional problems for audits, quality control of batch and manual processes and other ad hoc data needs as required.
c. Interprets complex requests to design and implement accurate reports that meet the requester’s needs. Trains users to run reports as appropriate.
6. Documents information system requirements and report inefficiencies and gaps.
a. Expertly consults with key users to create clear expectations and requirements; documents prior to configuration or customization of solutions.
b. Assist in developing measures to solve or overcome system gaps or development flaws with product vendors, unit and Information Technology staff as appropriate.
c. Proactively identifies potential issues and resolves them before they become a problem.
7. Develops and delivers unit-specific technology training sessions to individuals and in a group setting. Assists and supports end users in the use of technology to perform desired functions and procedures.
8. Administers user accounts and access in area-related technology solutions with unit leader approval. Implements position-based access whenever possible and maintains an access log of assigned user accounts.
9. Maintains and shares subject matter expertise within and outside the business. Stays current on industry trends and emerging technologies and applies the knowledge of how other employers and product vendors are leveraging technology to improve College and unit efficiency and effectiveness.
10. Partners with the unit leader and Director of Application Services in designing the annual project plan goals and outcomes. Reports monthly on goal projects and unit tasks.
Project Management and Business Process Analysis – 25%
1. Acts as a project lead or assists with unit or department projects as assigned.
a. Creates project plans and executes according to schedule, with attention to communication, risk management, training, and ongoing support and maintenance; setting and meeting expectations for project progress and completion; and ensuring that project deliverables are complete, sufficient, and of high quality.
b. Identifies user needs and requirements, defines project scope, assesses and recommends vendors, completes detailed user requirements, prepares communication plans and completes project risk assessments and contingency plans for projects as assigned.
2. Leads and coordinates business process analysis, researches and recommends opportunities to optimize business processes in alignment with the technology solution capabilities.
3. Designs, documents, and communicates departmental processes, procedures and Technology user guides in collaboration with key users.
4. Identifies and makes recommendations to creatively leverage the use of technology to improve efficiency and eliminate manual processes. Implements improvements with unit leader approval in partnership with key users as appropriate.
5. Documents and maintains system-related business processes.
Other Duties – 10%
1. Performs department-related business functions associated with technology such as entering and maintaining accurate data and running regular reports as needed.
2. Participates in regular meetings with the Director of Application Services, Enterprise Resource Planning Committee and other technology-related team meetings or trainings as assigned.
3. Attends workshops, seminars, conferences and other meetings concerning new and/or updated information related to the systems and products related to the unit’s technology.
4. Performs other duties as assigned that support student success and the mission, vision and values of the College of Lake County and unit within the College.
Posting Specific Questions - supplemental questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology,
Computer Information Technology, Information Technology Management
or primary discipline in technology and one (1) year of experience
in the functional area of work OR Associates Degree with one (1)
year of experience in a role with formal technology
responsibilities and three years of experience in the functional
area of work OR High school or equivalent with three (3) years of
experience in a role with formal technology responsibilities and
five years of experience in the functional area of work?
- * Do you have experience using PeopleSoft software?
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree or higher?
- * Do you have one (1) or more years of work experience
involving in business office and accounting processes?
- * Do you have demonstrated experience and proficient knowledge
of Excel, relational databases, SQL, and report writing?
- * Are you bilingual and proficient in Spanish and English?
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert