Lead Security Content Engineer
- Virginia Tech
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 23, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Security Studies, Science, Technology & Mathematics, Computer Sciences & Technology, Other Science & Technology, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Integrated Security Education and Research Center (ISERC) seeks a Lead Security Content Engineer to coordinate programs in support of Integrated Security Education and Research Center (ISERC). In this position, the successful candidate will create, integrate, supervise, and develop integrated security project. This position will work in support of the ISERC Director. This is a hybrid position with some in-person time devoted to Blacksburg, VA required. Additionally, the Technical Staff member will develop supporting materials for extra-curricular and co-curricular activities. Content may include capture-the-flag exercises, vulnerable machines, and security operations center technologies (e.g., Splunk). In this position, the successful candidate will create, integrate, supervise, and develop projects as part of the Senior Military Colleges (SMC) Cyber Institute program. This cross-matrixed position will work in support of the ISERC Director, building collaborations between the Intelligent Systems Lab and the ISERC, reporting to the ISERC Director, Associate Director, and Hume representative to be determined later.
The Integrated Security Education and Research Center (ISERC) is a new facility designed to blend science, technology, policy, and ethics across homeland security, national security, and cybersecurity domains. You will join the ISERC director, Virginia Tech faculty, and a team of graduate and undergraduate students who are enthusiastic, innovative, and interested in all things related to integrated security.
The Lead Security Content Engineer will create and assist with the development of scenarios for integrated security simulations, customizing deployments of simulation platforms, coordinating with various faculty, coordinate schedule for simulations, assist faculty and staff with running simulations, lead other ISERC staff and students, and work with industry personnel, government employees, and university members.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
(1) Support research conducted in ISL/ISERC in projects focused on cybersecurity education and research
(2) Contribute to technical documents/presentations and peer-reviewed academic papers
(3) Provide mentorship to students working on programs
(4) Develop cybersecurity content and simulations for use in courses.
(5) Plan, write, and create cybersecurity training material.
(6) Support research conducted in ISERC in projects focused on cybersecurity education and research
(7) Execute other duties as assigned to help ensure that the Virginia Cyber Range meets strategic
(8) Other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates will be creative and enthusiastic. We are particularly interested in hiring personnel with experience with cybersecurity and content development in either the private or public sector. Qualified candidates will be creative and enthusiastic. We are particularly interested in hiring personnel with experience with cybersecurity and content development in either the private or public sector.
• Master’s degree in a field relevant to cybersecurity, or major with a cybersecurity minor; or a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with experience which may equate to an advanced degree
• Project management experience
• Must demonstrate an ability to set and manage multiple priorities, tasks, and deadlines simultaneously
• Ability to work independently to meet deadlines
• Ability to work across disciplines; Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to communicate effectively and interact professionally with a diverse set of stakeholders, including faculty and industry partners
• Ability to execute variety of cyber assessments (to include social engineering; phishing; network and web application pentesting; wireless testing, reverse engineering, log analysis etc) using industry standard tools
• Experienced at developing, refining, and memorializing effective methodologies, tools, and scripts for use by teammates
• Experience performing a variety of cyber security assessments to penetrate the network, applications, and/or operating systems of the designated organization
• Ability to work independently to meet deadlines
• U.S. Citizen
• Experience in the cybersecurity field
• Familiarity with cybersecurity areas of study including high level IT security concepts, incident handling, penetration testing, digital forensics, computer networking, secure coding, and software reverse engineering
• Hands-on professional experience with AWS, GCP or Azure in an Infosec/DevSecOps capacity.
• Experience developing cybersecurity content
• Cybersecurity credentials and/or certificates
this position is eligible for hybrid telework.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Samantha Gagnet at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: March 23, 2023
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert