Clinical Associate Professor or Clinical Professor & Assistant Dean (Distant Site)
- TAMU School of Nursing
- Round Rock, Texas
- Posted Date
- Mar 24, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Health & Medicine, Nursing
- Employment Level
- Non-Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Texas A&M University School of Nursing is accepting applications for a full-time, administrative faculty position as the Assistant Dean at our Distant Site in Round Rock, TX. Applicants will be considered for a tenured, tenure-track, or clinical track (non-tenure) academic faculty appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor depending on qualifications. The position begins in 2023 with a negotiable start date. The Distant Site Assistant Dean is a vital member of the leadership team who provides oversight and direction for School of Nursing program development and delivery including site operations and supervision of faculty and staff as assigned.
This administrative role is an appointment filled by a ranked faculty member in the School of Nursing at Texas A&M University. The Assistant Dean reports to the Dean of the School of Nursing. The role is a 50% effort administrative appointment, 30% teaching, 10% scholarship and 10% service. The position will support the advancement of faculty, on both tenure and clinical tracks, and promote a welcoming and inclusive environment for students, faculty and staff.
Texas A&M University and the School of Nursing
Texas A&M University is one of the largest universities in the U.S., with more than 69,000 students from all 50 states and 124 countries. It is supported by a multibillion-dollar endowment ranked 4th among public universities and is a top 20 research enterprise. The Bryan-College Station Metropolitan Statistical Area has more than 268,100 residents and is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the country, with an affordable cost of living and convenient access to major Texas cities.
The School of Nursing is one of five health science schools within the Texas A&M University Health Science Center. Drawing from our vast network of scientists, educators and clinical partners, we educate highly qualified graduates who are equipped to address the health needs of an ever-changing population in Texas, the nation and the world. While the School of Nursing is relatively new – established in 2008 – we are rapidly growing in academic program offerings and excellence in research, practice and education. The school offers three Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree tracks, Traditional, Second Degree and RN to BSN, and three Master of Science in Nursing degree specialties, MSN-Family Nurse Practitioner, MSN-Nursing Education and MSN-Forensic Nursing, and a DNP program. Planning for an innovative PhD program is on the horizon. The prelicensure BSN programs are located in Bryan, Texas as the primary campus location and Round Rock, Texas as a distant site location.
The School of Nursing is home to the Texas A&M Health Center of Excellence in Forensic Nursing, earned the number 4 spot in the U.S. News & World Report’s national rankings for best online bachelor’s (RN-BSN) program in 2023 and was re-designated as a National League for Nursing (NLN) Center of Excellence in Nursing Education in Creating Environments that Enhance Student Learning and Professional Development. Within the last three fiscal years, research funding has more than quadrupled and our clinical partnerships continue to expand, surpassing 350 clinical partner sites across the state of Texas with more than 40 percent of the locations providing care in medically underserved areas. The baccalaureate degree programs in nursing and master’s degree programs in nursing at Texas A&M University School of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education through December 31, 2030.
The Distant Site Assistant Dean is a vital member of the leadership team who provides oversight and direction for School of Nursing program development and delivery including site operations and supervision of faculty and staff as assigned. The Round Rock location is located in a beautiful Texas A&M University Health Science Center facility and is the sole location for our second degree BSN program, and our military focused educational offerings.
II. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ADMINISTRATIVE ROLE
- Directly supervises site faculty and staff and completes annual evaluations.
- Responsible for site operations and collaboration with internal stakeholders to the School of Nursing and Texas A&M University and external stakeholders in the local area, the state and region.
- Serves on the School of Nursing leadership team as a member of the Deans Council and Executive Council.
- Collaborates with the Executive Associate Dean for Academic and Faculty Affairs, other members of the Deans Council, and program coordinators to determine faculty teaching and committee assignments.
- Guides faculty in carrying out the processes of development, implementation, and evaluation of curriculum activities.
- Collaborates with the Executive Associate Dean, Associate Deans and the Dean in maintaining qualified teaching and support staff.
- Interprets and facilitates implementation of school and University policies.
- Encourages and facilitates faculty promotion processes and participation in professional and community service activities such as vaccine clinics, health fairs, etc.
- Recruits, orients, and retains new faculty and staff.
- Implements program assessment and evaluation plans in collaboration with the Executive Associate Dean for Academic and Faculty Affairs.
- Adjudicates student issues for the distant site, including safety improvement plans, professional improvement plans, and issues as they may occur at the site.
- Participates in School of Nursing communications and public relations activities to promote and market the specific site and other SON programs.
- Develops and leads the site specific Clinical Advisory Board to achieve mutual goals and address concerns.
- Participates in the area clinical placement consortium to assure quality clinical learning opportunities.
- Develops new clinical and strategic partnerships in the community.
C. Resource Management
- Collaborates with members of the Deans Council to secure adequate resources that support faculty, students, and operations at the site.
- Leads the development and implementation of site specific class and clinical schedules.
- Maintains a record-keeping system and data collection processes necessary for preparation of program reports.
D. Tripartite Role of Teaching, Scholarship and Service
- Plans for professional development as a leader, scholar, and teacher.
- Assumes a teaching assignment in consultation with the Dean.
- Participates in scholarly activity as relevant to rank and role with peer-reviewed outcomes.
- Serves the university, the school and the profession in a leadership capacity.
E. Accountable for tasks and responsibilities specific to the site and other activities as delegated by the Executive Associate Dean, Associate Deans or Dean.
- Chairs the search committee interviewing prospective faculty and participates in interviewing prospective students.
- Plans and leads new student orientation specific to the site.
- Collaborates with the Executive Associate Dean, Associate Deans, faculty, and staff to plan and implement site events.
- Creates a student centric environment that supports student success and responds proactively to high risk students.
III. CONTROLS OVER THE POSITION
The Assistant Dean reports directly to the Dean, School of Nursing.
The Assistant Dean collaborates with the Executive Associate, Associate and Assistant Deans to achieve mutual goals or address common concerns.
- Doctoral degree in nursing or a doctoral degree in a related field (at least one graduate degree must be in nursing).
- Licensed RN by the Texas Board of Nursing (or eligible for licensure upon hire).
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in academic nursing education.
- Evidence of academic scholarship, leadership capability, and ability to work effectively with interprofessional groups.
- Experience in the application of clinical simulation and patient care technologies in nursing education.
- Effective communication and strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in academic nursing program development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Expertise in alternative educational delivery systems for non-traditional students.
- Experience with second degree BSN educational program delivery.
- Understanding of the unique opportunities and needs of military populations of nursing students (e.g., veterans, active duty, families of military, and military pathways to commissioned officer for pre-licensure students).
- Administrative experience in evaluating performance and directing activities.
- Evidence of scholarly outcomes including publications and extramural funding as relevant to clinical professor track and rank.
- Demonstrated leadership in community activities.
- Experience with writing/administrating program and scholarly grants.
- Prior experience with baccalaureate and/or graduate nursing education program approvals and national accreditation.
Applicants interested in the clinical track (non-tenure track) position must apply through the Texas A&M University faculty job board hosted by Interfolio at apply.interfolio.com/121796.
Applicants interested in the tenured or tenure-track position must apply through the Texas A&M University faculty job board hosted by Interfolio at apply.interfolio.com/121805.
Applicants should submit the following documents: (1) cover letter (2) detailed curriculum vitae (3) personal statement to include philosophy and plans for research, teaching, and service; and (4) contact information for five references.
Any questions regarding the position should be directed to Jennifer Morton at firstname.lastname@example.org . Academic rank and salary are based on qualifications and experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert