Assistant to the Chair (71101)
- Pratt Institute
- New York, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 24, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Communications, Media Studies
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Assistant to the Chair (71101)
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Pratt Institute is seeking an Assistant to the Chair who is a proactive collaborator with excellent communication and organizational skills to support the efforts of the Foundation Department. This position will further the endeavors of the Department by coordinating administrative and institutional processes, and by executing and monitoring communication strategies. If you can demonstrate the ability to successfully design and develop communication strategies and have experience working with administrative processes, then we want to hear from you!
The Assistant to the Chair will be a self-motivated team member who works closely as a collaborative partner with the Foundation Chair, Assistant Chair, and Foundations Lab and Operations Manager in all administrative and communications work for the department. The successful candidate should be naturally curious about art and design education and will develop a deep knowledge of the Foundation Department and its community through their work. The Assistant to the Chair will maintain and create relationships across campus, build and grow resource materials, and execute internal and external communications to students, faculty, and staff, such as emails, social media posts, and newsletters that reach close to 600 students, 65+ adjunct and full-time faculty, and 6 staff members.
Pratt Institute enrolls 5,262 graduate and undergraduate students working across nearly 50 programs. Of the Institute's 3,700 undergraduates, most are full-time, and over 1,800 live on campus. International students make up 32% of the undergraduate student body, hailing from over 65 countries around the world, and 15% are from underrepresented minority groups. An additional 232 students are enrolled in the Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute (PrattMWP), in Utica, New York; they complete the first two years of their Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Fine Arts, Communications Design, Photography, or Art and Design Education in Utica and then move to the Brooklyn campus to complete their degrees.
On a typical day you will:
- General office management to support a small staff and faculty group: monitoring and ordering supplies, directing incoming communications via email, phone and in-person
- Processing of institutional forms (change of grade forms, change of major forms)
- Overseeing financial processes for the department (reimbursements, honorariums, stipends, purchasing and invoices)
- Taking, maintaining and sharing departmental records and meeting notes; running zoom meetings, setting up zoom or in-person meetings
- Updating and maintaining shared resource boards and shared Google Drives (for both students and faculty)
Communications for the Department:
- Assist the department in communications that center DEI, sustainability and community within its implementation
- Executing and maintaining a semi-daily publishing for departmental Instagram accounts and a monthly department newsletter (9 months of the 12 month year)
- Work with communications staff to implement a style guide for communications within the department (including: emails to faculty, students, external relations, etc)
- Creating promotional materials for FDN Talks, SPARK Talks, Foundations Lab Art + Science Series Talks, Student programs and opportunities, Foundation Expanded, and student exhibitions
- Assist the department in the design and creation of yearly swag materials for incoming first-year students to promote our Foundation community (buttons, pencils, posters, tote bags, stickers, etc.)
- Fielding internal and external inquiries to the Department via email, phone and in-person.
Salary Range: $60,500 - $62,900 + Generous Benefits:
- 403B Retirement Program
- Supplemental Retirement Account
- Tuition Benefits for Employees and Dependents
- Tuition Exchange Program
- Summer Hours
- Flexible Spending Accounts - commuter, medical, dependent care
- Childcare Benefit
- Basic life and AD&D insurance provided by Pratt
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Coverage
- Paid Time Off - vacation days, sick leave, winter break, and major holidays off
- Additional Perks - free entry to select museums and cultural institutions, free use of campus recreation facilities, affordable on-campus parking
Education: Associate’s Degree Required, Bachelor’s degree preferred. Experience in communications and administration. Demonstrated interest and/or experience in the fields of Art, Design and/or new technology is considered an asset.
Experience: Minimum three (3) years of administrative and/or communications experience with a strong track record of financial and digital record keeping. Demonstrated management of communications and social media strategies. Managerial experience and/or experience within an educational institution, non-profit institution or other educational environment is not required, but would be considered an asset.
Preferred Experience: Experience in a higher education setting a plus; interest and enthusiasm for Foundation level art and design education, student wellness and support.
Skills: Strong written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills required. Must have a commitment to students and supporting their educational needs.
For campus access requirements related to COVID, click here
To apply, visit https://apply.interfolio.com/122623
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert