Digital Instructional Technologist
- Northeastern University
- Massachusetts, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 23, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Instructional Technology & Design (Campus)
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Digital Instructional Technologist
About the Opportunity
Information Technology Services (ITS) is searching for an outgoing, experience focused, and relationship-minded educator to assist with the training and support of many modern digital solutions within the university. Technology can be seen as a barrier for reaching our true potential. One of the goals of the Digital University Solutions and Experience team, specifically the role of the Digital Instructional Technologist, is to remove this barrier by facilitating thoughtful training programs to modernize and digitize university business.
Reporting to the Digital Solutions Training Lead, the Digital Instructional Technologist will be tasked with creating and facilitating technical trainings for the services offered by ITS. They should be capable of understanding technical concepts and “translating” them into useful trainings that will be delivered to large groups of people. They will also assist in the creation, revising, and adjustment of trainings as needed to maintain successful education of the Northeastern community.
At Team ITS, your success matters as much as the mission. Learn more about our flexible, highly dynamic, and values-first culture at careers.its.northeastern.edu.
RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Facilitate training on modern workplace and classroom
technologies based on a set curriculum and schedule.
- Triage questions from training attendees to service owners and
subject matter experts.
- Follow up with attendees to ensure training was useful and
there are no outstanding questions.
- Promote other training sessions that would benefit the
- Design, develop, and ideate new trainings based on changes to
existing services or new service roll outs.
- Write training scripts and curriculum that allows for a
progression of learning from easy use cases to more advanced
- Work with subject matter experts to ensure training is
- Set update schedule for trainings so they remain
- Determine scheduling needs for how often a training should
- Determine best method to train for a specific tool
(synchronous, asynchronous, in-person, remote, etc.).
- Collaborate with communications team to properly market new and
- Attend project meetings for new service roll outs to determine
- Work with knowledge, solutions engineering, and service desk
teams to ensure there is a consistent message about how a tool is
used and what trainings exist for it.
- Work with product and program managers to understand the
roadmap of supported services.
- Follow vendor documentation and update trainings as
- Gather feedback from trainees to constantly update existing
trainings and create new ones based on the community's
- B.S. degree in instructional technology or 3 years of related
- Demonstrated experience integrating current and emerging
technologies in support of modern workplace initiatives and
teaching and learning.
- 3+ years of teaching or training experience, preferably in a
- Ability and willingness to learn new technologies and remain
current in developing trends in the teaching and learning
- Ability to independently create curriculum, training
opportunities, and training materials in support of the adoption of
- Proficiency with common educational and modern workplace
technology tools (Canvas, Microsoft 365, Panopto, LTI standards,
Smartsheet, Robin, etc.).
- Experience with media production tools (screen casting, digital
video production and editing, etc.).
- Experience in higher ed, or other academic or research
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to clearly identify the teaching and learning goals of
faculty, staff, and students and provide relevant, practical
solutions using the available technology solutions.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues, perform root cause analysis,
work with vendor contacts and support systems, and collaborate
directly with the ITS Customer.
- Experience organization to resolve faculty, staff, and student
- Ability to communicate and document clearly.
- Demonstrated strong writing skills.
- Desire for continuous self-improvement and maintenance of
skills through training and demonstrated commitment to professional
- Curious by nature and unafraid of asking questions.
- Self-starter, with a proven track record for creativity and
- Able to prioritize multiple projects and work streams in a
- 2-4 years of experience supporting academic technologies,
instructional design, and/or course development experience in a
higher education environment.
- M.S. degree in educational technology, instructional design, or
- Experience with learning analytics and data driven improvement
of student outcomes.
- Experience with accessibility standards and creating accessible
teaching and learning materials.
- Knowledge of service management and ITIL processes.
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Digital-Instructional-Technologist_R108808
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert