- Georgia Southern University
- Georgia, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 23, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Science, Technology & Mathematics, Agriculture & Animal Sciences
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Job ID: 256379
Location: Statesboro, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
Statesboro Campus - Statesboro, GA
Supervise and direct the University campus horticulture program. Schedule, supervise, and participate in propagation, cultivation, and care of annuals, perennials, ornamental trees and shrub. Apply chemicals and fertilizer on all areas of campus. Serve as key leader in maintaining campus beautification.
- Hire, schedule, and oversee student employees
- Assist in development of educational garden installations
- Assist with research projects
- Provide on and off-site horticultural education program
- Maintain an active plant nursery and greenhouse operations for campus beautification
- Plan and direct propagation, cultivation, preparation, and maintenance of annual color beds
- Direct and perform technical work related to cultural requirements for a wide variety of plants
- Assist in planning and installation of landscaping projects including new installations as well as reworking existing one
- Plan, direct and participate in turf and shrub pest management and fertilization program
- Associates Degree or equivalent (2 years experience)
- Three (3) years of work experience in grounds or plant nursery planting/pruning flowers, shrubs, and trees
- Three (3) Years of supervisory work experience in grounds or plant nursery
- Creative ability to design and install plant beds, pots, and displays
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Pesticide License or the ability to obtain within 90 days from hire
Preferred Educational Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in horticulture or related field
- Prior Horticulture experience
- Experience in plant propagation and nursery/greenhouse operations
$17.26 - $19.13
This is a non-exempt position paid on a biweekly basis.
Required Documents to Attach
- Two (2) Professional References
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Ability to work well in a diverse and inclusive environment through commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, Google, and/or applications as required for specific position
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Knowledge of horticultural principles and practicesExtensive knowledge of trees, flowers, shrubs, turf, cultivation, pruning and other aspects of plant biology
- Working knowledge of common and botanical names of trees, flowers, shrubs and grasses, insects, parasites and plant disease
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational and human relations skills
- Experience in team development and supervision
Apply Before Date
Open Until Filled
Application review may begin on March 30, 2023.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at email@example.com.
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Legally authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the University.
Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
Proof of valid driver's license upon hire and throughout employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the America with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
- May be required to maneuver items weighing up to 25 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation
- Work performed in indoor and outdoor environments
- May at times, be required to perform work in harsh conditions
- Work can be physically demanding and repetitious
- Potential risk of injury from gardening equipment or weather
- Ability to operate University equipment
- This is a supervisory position
- This position does not have any financial responsibilities
- Standard + Education & DMV
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=256379&PostingSeq=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert