Instructor (One-Year) in Strategic Communication, College of Communication
- Butler University
- Indiana, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 23, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Communications, Digital Media, Media Studies, Other Communications, Public Relations & Advertising, Speech & Rhetoric
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Strategic Communication Department in the College of Communication at Butler University invites applications for a nine-month instructor of Strategic Communication with an expected start date of August 2023. This position will primarily support our robust undergraduate Strategic Communication program. We seek applicants with strong professional and teaching experience and a commitment to the integration of theory and practice, experiential learning, and inclusive pedagogies. The teaching load for this position is 12 credit hours a semester, primarily in public relations writing, with opportunities to teach courses in the candidate’s area of expertise.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Master’s degree in strategic communication, public relations, advertising, mass communication, or a related field
- Experience teaching undergraduate courses in strategic communication
- Professional experience in strategic communication, public relations, advertising, mass communication, or a related field
- Excellent written communication skills
- Expressed desire to work with students, faculty, and staff from socially and culturally diverse backgrounds
- Leadership experience in strategic communication
- Experience teaching public relations writing
- Ability to develop and teach a range of courses in strategic communication
- Experience with strategic communication with diverse audiences
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and intercultural development in an educational or work environment
- Effective classroom management skills
- Successful experience in the following:
- working collaboratively with others (e.g., committee service, being part of a production team, co-teaching);
- working independently (e.g., supervising a production, course development)
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
Founded by Ovid Butler in 1855 on the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion, Butler University is a comprehensive, liberal-arts-based, private university located in the vibrant and culturally diverse city of Indianapolis and is committed to undergraduate teaching excellence. With a mission to boldly innovate and broadly educate, Butler University has been recognized by US News & World Report as the #1 Regional University in the Midwest, #1 Most Innovative School for the seventh consecutive year, and the #1 Best College for Veterans. The university enrolls approximately 5,000 students across its six colleges, including the College of Communication.
The College of Communication enrolls approximately 550 students across its 8 majors and online graduate program in Strategic Communication. CCOM is a dynamic and forward-thinking college that seeks to create an inclusive learning environment with a student-focused approach. Instructors in the College have a typical teaching load of 4 courses per semester with an expectation for creative/professional activities. Butler offers generous financial support for creative works, innovations in curricular development, and travel to present for domestic and international conferences. Additional information about the University and the College can be found at www.butler.edu . There are also opportunities and support for engaging in work that contributes to university-wide initiatives in diversity and social justice, the Indianapolis Community Requirement, and Global Historical Studies.
To apply, candidates must submit:
- A letter of application outlining qualifications, a teaching philosophy, and experience with/commitment to teaching a diverse student body
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching evaluations for two courses where you have been instructor of record
- Contact information for three references, at least two of whom can speak to your ability or promise as an instructor
Materials should be submitted to:
Mark A. Rademacher, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Graduate Director and Interim Chair
Re: Strategic Communication Search
Review of applications will begin March 1 and continue until the position is filled. Consideration will only be given to complete applications.
Butler University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to enhancing the diversity of the students, faculty and staff. In addition, hiring and other employment- related decisions are made on the basis of an individual’s qualifications, past experience, overall performance, and other employment-related criteria. It is the policy of the University to provide equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
For further information regarding equal employment opportunities and legally protected categories, refer to www.butler.edu/hr/policies and/or www.eeoc.gov .
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert