Director of Athletic Communications
- Vassar College
- New York, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 23, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Communications, Media Studies
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Director of Athletic Communications
Department: Athletics and Physical Education
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Work Schedule: Weekend, holiday, early morning and/or late evening hours are required.
Employee Type: Administrator
Posting Date: 03/22/2023
Union Representation: Not Applicable
Posting Number: AS349P
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar stands upon the homelands of the Munsee Lenape.Vassar College is deeply committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion, and respect for difference. The College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer, and especially welcomes applications from veterans, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of racial, ethnic, and other historically underrepresented groups.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note: Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees except for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Vassar College invites applications for the position of Director of Athletic Communications. This is a full-time, benefit-eligible, twelve-month position. Weekend, holiday, early morning and/or late evening hours are required.
The successful candidate will coordinate the strategic dissemination of information about the College's 25 varsity sports and four varsity club teams to its many constituents. It is the Director's role to ensure the messages that emanate from the department reflect the mission of the institution and department, follow the institutional graphic template, communicate in the institutional voice and tone, and represent the full breadth of the student-athlete experience at Vassar College.
- Provide timely updates to supporters through the dissemination of news releases, alumni and booster newsletters and other publications
- Website development, implementation and maintenance
- Development and implementation of a social media plan
- Collaboration with College Communications and Development Communications staff to create marketing, human interest, and fundraising materials
- Develop and coordinate media and sports information coverage for all home intercollegiate athletic events to include video streaming, live stats, and PA announcers
- Maintain a comprehensive system for filing records and statistics for all sports
- Report to NCAA, Liberty League, and other applicable sport conferences
- Prepare staff and student awards nominations
- Coordinate annual athletics awards banquet
- Hire, train, and supervise a full-time Assistant Director of Athletics Communications
- Hire, train, and supervise student interns and student workers to assist with office functions
- Assist the Hall of Fame committee by providing statistical, biographical, and other information required for the committee to evaluate potential inductees
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and Physical Education
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working in an athletics communications/sports information program as a professional at the collegiate level.
- Experience with sport-specific software programs, such as StatCrew and NCAA Stats, and content management programs.
- Experience and demonstrated proficiency with computers and desktop publishing programs on Macintosh and/or PC platforms.
- Must have the ability to work on deadlines and handle several responsibilities simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Working knowledge of emerging social media platforms.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and written/oral communication skills.
- A valid and unrestricted driver’s license.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Minimum of 3-5 years an athletics communications/sports information program as a professional at the collegiate level.
- Experience with website design and management, preferably with SIDEARM-designed websites.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Premiere Pro.
- Experience with digital photography, videography, graphic design, video design and applying creative content to social media platforms.
- The ideal candidate will also assist in the development and implementation of an athletics communications and marketing plan.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/3126.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert