The Executive Chef will provide oversight of all culinary
production actions within Residential and work closely in
collaboration with the Director of Retail operations in Retail
dining. The Executive Chef is responsible for the overall success
of the food service operation adhering to Brown Dining Services’
culture and guidelines, the Health Department’s regulations, and
Brown Dining Services standards and expectations of food quality,
freshness, and presentation. In this position, the Executive Chef
is responsible for overseeing the sanitation and safety of the
kitchen facilities while ensuring that all kitchen employees
produce pleasant, aesthetically appealing and nutritious food,
while meeting financial budgetary goals. The selected candidate
will provide oversight and direction regarding menu planning, food
specifications and procurement, culinary staffing and scheduling .
This position problem solves professionally, rapidly, and fairly as
well as maintains and teaches a good work ethic, while supporting
the Director of Culinary Operations, and developing a sense of
teamwork and cooperation within the team. The Executive Chef will
directly oversee a staff of 4 comprised of (3) Assistant Director's
of Culinary Operations and (1) Bakery Production Manager as well as
indirectly oversee a culinary production staff of approximately 60
union employees represented by USAW-RI. The Executive Chef will
report directly to the Vice President of Dining Programs.
Tasks and Responsibilities included but not limited to:
- Provide leadership to the Culinary Management Staff in
Residential and Retail operations on all culinary production
- Meet departmental standards and assure a high degree of
- Responsible for achieving positive working relationships with
all levels of managers, union employees, and student
- Works with other department team members in implementing
departmental goals and objectives.
- Plays leadership role in assuring customer satisfaction;
actively participates in customer focus groups and regularly
interacts with the customer base.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with
campus community and private industry.
- Works on projects as assigned by the Director of Culinary
Operations and Vice President of Dining Programs.
- Manage culinary production. with a focus on leadership, menu
and service level development.
- Work in collaboration with The Residential Dining and Catering
Directors to establish and review direction and programing.
- Be proficient in current culinary techniques and trends and
apply same throughout the menu development process.
- Monitor post-costs to ensure proper forecasting results.
- Ensure adherence to all protocols and requirements related to
CBORD® FSS (Food Service Software).
- Develop and implement sanitation and safety training programs
based on RI Food Code, OSHA, and ADA regulations.
- Primary contact for the RI Department of Health
- Work with culinary managers to ensure employees are trained in
proper production techniques that maximize efficiency, minimize
waste and meet all standards of quality and food safety.
- Work with culinary managers to ensure time and temperature logs
are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Monitor and enforce standards of safety and sanitation.
- Oversee cleaning and maintenance programs.
- Develop and/or modify cleaning schedules as needed and ensure
This position is an on-site only position. It is not eligible
for remote or hybrid status.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory
records and education check satisfactory to Brown
Recruiting Start Date:
- Bachelor’s degree in culinary, food service management, or
related, or equivalent combination of education and culinary
- 7 to 10 years’ related experience with 5 years of experience
effectively managing a culinary staff.
- RI Food Safety Manager Certification or equivalency
- Certified Executive Chef (CEC) title by the American Culinary
Federation (ACF) preferred
- Production experience in a higher-ed environment preferred
- Experience working with union staff preferred
- Experience with fine dining and/or high-end catering
- Excellent knowledge of BOH systems, ordering, and
- Demonstrated culinary flair, sophisticated palate, and
knowledge of current culinary trends required
- Leadership skills with the ability to develop programs and lead
- Effectiveness as a change agent, with the ability to think
strategically, to turn new ideas and approaches into executable
programs, and lead a diverse staff through ongoing changes in
organization, processes, procedures, and technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategies, plans
and budgets in a complex, fast changing environment.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively both verbally
and in writing, and the ability to establish a cooperative work
environment and create strong collaborative relationships with key
stakeholders across the university with confidence and
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability
to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a
complex and diverse community.
- Possesses a willingness and ability to support and promote a
diverse and inclusive campus community
- Strong system skills including Microsoft Office, database and
resources planning systems
Job Posting Title:
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any
staff position at Brown University you must submit an application
form for each position for which you believe you are qualified.
Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please
include a cover letter and resume with each position
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA
, Brown University provides equal opportunity and
prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a
person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic
origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected
under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our