Assistant Director for Athletic Communications
- Northern Arizona University
- Arizona, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 22, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Human Resources Administration
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Assistant Director for Athletic Communications
Job ID: 607125
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
- This position is posted as Assistant Director for Athletic Communications, which is a working title. The NAU system title for this position is Public Relations Analyst, Senior.
- This position is an on-site position which requires the incumbent to complete their work primarily at an NAU site, campus, or facility with or without accommodation. Opportunities for remote work are rare.
- This position requires the ability to work nights, weekends and non traditional hours.
- Travel between campus locations is a regular part of the position. Arizona Administrative Code Fleet Safety Policy requires all employees who drive, on university business to pass an online defensive driving course and submit their driver's license number for periodic records review. The law affects all faculty, staff and students who drive any university-owned motorized vehicles. For more information on NAU Authorized Driver Policy
The Assistant Director for Athletics Communications will assist the Associate Athletic Director for Communications in the day-to-day coverage of 15 Northern Arizona University intercollegiate programs in addition to serving as the primary contact for assigned sports.
Oversee sport specific content and communication efforts - 35%
- Oversee all athletic communications efforts for primary sports to positively promote and elevate the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks brand.
- Maintain historical records, statistics and archives for primary sports.
Social media management and website creative content production - 35%
- Design and produce all publications including media guides, press releases, game notes and game programs for primary sports.
- Oversee all social media content and assist in the creation of content, including graphics and video, for primary sports with an emphasis on creative story telling.
- Assist in creation of other additional content to be used on nauathletics.com.
Assign duties, sport responsibilities and manage workload - 15%
- Assist in the oversight of staff including graduate assistants and student interns.
- Manage game operations for primary sports and assist in game operations for other sports as needed.
Travel - 10%
- Travel with primary sports as required.
Other - 5%
Other duties as assigned.
- Associate's or bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, or related field.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in journalism, communications, public relations or related field of study.
- Minimum of two years of experience in athletic communications and social media content creation.
- Experience with NCAA LiveStats and/or Statcrew software.
- Experience in writing, editing and designing of publications including media guides and game notes.
- Experience in AP style writing.
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere, etc.).
- Knowledge of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Knowledge of NCAA rules and compliance issues.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively, think creatively and complete tasks on deadline.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Experience working within NCAA Division 1 athletics.
- Knowledge of computers for design of publications, web site updates and in-game statistics.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Ability to work non traditional hours and manage multiple projects at one time.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $47,634. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
April 5, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=607125&PostingSeq=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert