- University of Missouri - St. Louis
- Missouri, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 21, 2023
Perform routine, manual work utilizing knowledge of various custodial materials, equipment, methods and procedures used in maintaining a clean, neat and orderly building. May clean, sweep and remove trash from multiple campus parking garage structures, provide special services to the Chancellor’s residence and emergency support to the Special Work Assignment Team (SWAT). Work is subject to spot checking for neatness, cleanliness and workmanship with periodic review for overall effectiveness. Functional contacts include co-workers, service department employees and all personnel utilizing building facilities.
- Perform duties in the care and cleaning of buildings (e.g., garages, offices, classrooms, entry ways, and restrooms). Clean floors (e.g., sweep, mop, and wax), empty trash receptacles, dust furniture, clean windows and other cleaning related duties. May sweep and shovel snow. May order cleaning supplies and equipment repairs as needed. May be assigned to work in areas requiring special use of disinfectants, cleaning techniques and sanitation procedures or use of special equipment (e.g., large sweeper, power washers).
- May prepare rooms for meetings by setting up chairs, tables and necessary equipment.
- May occasionally fabricate simple fixtures or devices for use in the building or assist superiors in fabrication of more complicated apparatus.
- May provide support for emergency responses and/or large moves/events.
- May periodically, check building equipment (pumps, motors, fans, heaters, furnace, etc.): perform necessary maintenance, adjustments and routine repairs of equipment including replacement of broken, worn or defective parts; report need of major repairs to superior for correction. Check gauges of building equipment for proper temperature, pressure, water level, etc. Clean and provide routine maintenance on equipment such as vacuums, gas blower, large lot sweeper and pickup truck.
- May perform building security duties such as locking and unlocking doors, checking windows, turning lights on or off, etc., report items that need repair to superior. Report damages and repair needs to appropriate staff. Report and clean graffiti from surfaces when found.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Monday – Friday 7:00AM – 3:30PM / 10:00AM – 6:30PM / 2:30PM – 11:00PM
Saturday - Wednesday 7:30AM – 4:00PM
Sunday – Thursday 7:30AM – 4:00PM
Pay commensurate with education and experience.
Hiring Range: $13.00 - $15.86 Hourly
University Title: Custodian II
A job offer for this position is contingent on passing a physical examination to determine if the candidate possesses the physical capabilities necessary to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read and write.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- A valid driver’s license may be required for certain positions.
- Some knowledge of methods for cleaning equipment and buildings; mechanical ability for minor repair of equipment.
- Ability on a daily basis to:
- Visualize work area and determine what tasks need to be performed
- Bend, squat, reach, stretch, walk, stand, sit, grasp and twist repeatedly
- Climb stairs, step stools, and ladders; climb and descend stairwells
- Lift, carry, and set down objects of moderate weight (25-50 lbs.)
- Work may include one or more of the following:
- Working in areas of extreme temperatures
- Wearing a backpack vacuum for long periods of time
- Wearing protective mask and hearing protection devices
- Working around dust and cleaning chemicals
- Good physical coordination and mechanical aptitude sufficient to perform assigned duties
One year of general maintenance and/or custodial experience preferred, but not necessary
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume, and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment.
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.) to the UMSL Job site: Http://umsl.jobs.
For questions about the application process, please call (314) 516-5805. If you are experiencing technical problems, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Missouri - St. Louis offers benefit-eligible employees a wide variety of benefits including: health, dental and vision coverage effective on the first day of employment, retirement, paid time off, tuition assistance for employees and their dependents and employee and dependent life insurance. For more information about our benefits, please visit:
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert