Director, School of Visual and Performing Arts
- University of Wisconsin La Crosse
- Wisconsin, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 14, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Arts, Art, Other Arts, Performing Arts, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration, Arts Administration
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Number of Vacancies
Director, School of Visual and Performing Arts
Arts Program Director
Proposed Salary to be Offered
Appointment Percentage (Budget)
The Director for the School of Visual and Performing Arts ( VPA ) will coordinate and promote the public-facing aspects of the VPA, working with the Departments of Art, Music, and Theatre & Dance. These activities include, but are not limited to: marketing, public relations, student recruitment, and fundraising. The Director provides counsel to the Dean on VPA activities and operations. A successful Director will value diversity and inclusive excellence, understand the importance of collaboration, exhibit an entrepreneurial spirit, and recognize the importance of the VPA both for elevating the profile of UW-La Crosse and increasing cultural literacy in the greater La Crosse region.
Contingent Upon Funding
Is this position eligible for employment sponsorship, (H1B or PERM)?
- Master’s and/or advanced degree in arts, theatre, music, arts administration, or related field.
- Three years of experience at a visual or performance arts facility, public-facing university arts program, or related entity.
- An informed understanding of public-facing aspects of academic programs in art, music, theatre, and dance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Clear understanding of and commitment to diversity as a force for academic and artistic excellence.
- Flexibility with schedule, including the ability to work nights and weekends when necessary.
- Established record of ethical, honest, transparent, and collaborative leadership and organizational management.
- Demonstrated effort creating successful entrepreneurial experiences.
- Success developing a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and partnership.
- Experience in a higher education environment.
- Experience with media relations, graphic design and production, and social media.
- Experience developing and leading a strategic plan.
- A record of applying for and obtaining external grants.
UWL provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual with a disability. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 608.785.8013. This job announcement and other material on this site will be made available in alternate formats upon request to an individual with a disability.
All position descriptions are required to provide physical demands and working condition/environment and may not be published in the job announcement. For information on the physical demands and/or working conditions/environment for this position, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 608.785.8013
Working conditions and environment
- Have a high level of social contact. Spend a great deal of time on telephones and in face-to-face conversations with people.
- Work indoors in offices. May on occasion work outdoors at sporting events or outdoor performances.
- Usually, work irregular hours. Performances and meetings often occur throughout the day and in the evenings. Often on-call in case of emergencies.
Information about your benefits
Your benefits add an additional 40%+ to the overall financial package from the university.
- excellent flexible health insurance with low co-pays and good coverage.
- paid holidays and sick days.
- sick leave may be converted at retirement to pay for health insurance post-work at UWL .
- after 5 years of employment, you become vested in our retirement system which ensures income post-career.
- benefits at UWL are highly competitive with local industry and some of the strongest in state and nation.
Learn more at: https://www.uwlax.edu/globalassets/offices-services/human-resources/benefits-info/2022-quick-guide-faasli.pdf
Benefit eligibility is determined at point of hire. This information is provided for illustrative purposes only. Benefits are also pro-rated based on the appointment percentage.
Information about UWL and the Surrounding Region
The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse (UW–La Crosse) provides a challenging, dynamic, and diverse learning environment in which the entire university community is fully engaged in supporting student success. Grounded in the liberal arts, UW-La Crosse fosters curiosity and life-long learning through collaboration, innovation, and the discovery and dissemination of new knowledge. Acknowledging and respecting the contributions of all, UW-La Crosse is a regional academic and cultural center that prepares students to take their place in a constantly changing world community.
For more than a decade UW-La Crosse has been named one of Kiplinger’s 100 Best Values in Public Universities and has appeared prominently on theU.S. News & World Reportlist of “America’s Best Colleges” for more than 15 years, and is ranked #4 on its list of the Best Regional Public Universities in the Midwest.
With a student population of roughly 10,500, the university offers 91 undergraduate programs, 21 graduate programs, and 2 doctoral programs through the following three colleges, the College of Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities, the College of Business Administration, and the College of Science and Health, as well as the School of Education. There are over 600 full-time faculty and instructional academic staff, 75 percent of whom hold terminal degrees. UW-La Crosse boasts a retention rate (freshmen returning as sophomores) of 84 percent, graduation rate (degree within six years) of 70 percent, and is among only 12 institutions cited nationally by the American Association of State Colleges and Universities for its success in linking campus culture and university leadership to outstanding graduation rates.
UW-La Crosse’s strategic plan Sustaining Excellence continues to move our community forward through its four pillars: increasing community engagement, achieving excellence through equity and diversity, investing in our people, and advancing transformational education. More information about the ongoing work of Sustaining Excellence is available at www.uwlax.edu/info/strategic-plan .
The UW-La Crosse campus is in southwestern Wisconsin, nestled in a residential area of the City of La Crosse and positioned as part of a larger metro area with a population close to 140,000. The area, known as the 7 Rivers Region, is famous for its exceptional natural beauty which includes the Mississippi River on one side, majestic bluffs on the other, and views of rolling farmland and forested valleys in between. Abundant water, woodlands and varying terrain provide ample opportunities for year-round outdoor recreation. Only a couple of hours from Minneapolis or Madison, La Crosse enjoys the affordability and charm of small town living with larger city benefits. Three colleges, two world-class medical institutions, the La Crosse Symphony Orchestra, a restored nineteenth century downtown business district, and a number of galleries and art centers have made La Crosse a regional center for culture, entertainment, medical care, shopping, sports and recreation. More information about the La Crosse metro area can be found here: Choose La Crosse .
Learn more about UW-La Crosse here: https://www.uwlax.edu/human-resources/services/talent-acquisition-and-employment/finalist-welcome/
The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. We strongly encourage women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans to apply. UWL, in compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
UW-La Crosse’s diversity and inclusion efforts are guided by our adherence to Inclusive Excellence. We define Inclusive Excellence as “… our active, intentional and ongoing commitment to bridge differences with understanding and respect so all can thrive." The goals of Inclusive Excellence are to increase the retention of diverse faculty, staff and students while encouraging a campus climate that is inviting and welcoming to all. UW-La Crosse strives to promote acceptance of all facets of diversity from racial/ethnic diversity to diversity of thought and experience. UW-La Crosse ranks 6th nationally among the Top LGBTQ -Friendly Colleges for 2018-19 by AffordableCollegesOnline.org ( ACO ).
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (Clery Act)
For the UWL Annual Security and Fire Safety Reports (i.e., Clery Report), which includes statistics about reported crimes and information about campus security policies, see https://www.uwlax.edu/police/annual-security-report/ or contact the University Police Department at 608.785.9000.
College of Arts, Social Sciences & Humanities
Description of College / Department / Program / Division / Unit
The College of Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities ( CASSH ) includes departments and programs in the humanities, social sciences and interdisciplinary studies, as well departments in the School of Visual and Performing Arts ( VPA ).
CASSH / VPA is dedicated to providing quality innovative instruction and creative learning experiences which prepares students for future careers and education. More broadly, such learning allows students to continue to develop meaningful, responsible lives. Graduates of the college will have developed the ability to communicate effectively, to think critically, to conduct sound research, to understand complex issues, to use knowledge in all aspects of life, to participate meaningfully as global citizens, and to discover and apply carefully considered values.
CASSH / VPA faculty and staff are committed to maintaining academic integrity and high ethical standards. CASSH / VPA, through its faculty, students, and curricula, also is dedicated to advancing cultural diversity. Furthermore, by developing partnerships and encouraging professional connections, the college works diligently to establish its membership in the broader community.
The academic community within the College of Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities and School of Visual and Performing Arts supports a strong general education program, nurtures exceptional disciplinary programs, and creates innovative interdisciplinary and international programs, which together promote lifelong personal and professional learning for every individual who comes through their programs.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Detail Information
Continuous Recruitment First Review Date
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION :
Priority consideration is given to those candidates who apply by the listed ‘First Review Date’. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. Application materials will be evaluated, and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process. Incomplete and/or late application materials may not receive consideration. If you have questions regarding this recruitment, or if you are not able to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact the Office of Human Resources.
Confidentiality of Applicant Materials
UWL is a state agency and subject to Wisconsin’s Open Records Law. UWL will not, however, reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing except as may be required by Wisconsin’s Open Records law. In certain circumstances, the identities of “final candidates” and/or the identity of the appointed applicant must be revealed upon request.
CBC & Reference Check Policy
All candidates for employment are subject to a pre-employment screening which includes a criminal background check, work authorization, and verification of education. It will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment.
Position Contact Name
Marie Moeller, Associate Dean, College of Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities
Position Contact Email
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the
identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing,
except that the identities of finalists must be revealed upon
request. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).
- I wish for my name to remain confidential until the university is no longer able to do so.
- I waive my right to keep my name confidential through the application process.
- * Are you currently employed by or have you been employed by a
UW System institution or a State of Wisconsin agency during the
last seven (7) years? Please answer yes or no. If yes, provide the
institution or agency name, your supervisor and contact
information, including phone number and email address.
- * After you retire from a Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS)
employer, you may return to work with a WRS employer as a rehired
annuitant, provided certain requirements are met. There are no
restrictions on what type of position a rehired annuitant can hold.
Under the WRS, there is no limit to how much you may earn as a
rehired annuitant. (Learn more:
Are you currently collecting an annuity from the Wisconsin
Retirement System, (WRS)?
- * Are you an alum of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse?
- * Are you legally eligible to work in the United States?
- * Will you now or in the future require visa sponsorship for
employment at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse? (UW-L and UW
System institutions pay for some or all of the sponsorship costs.
Some candidates may require an H1B or another form of employment
sponsorship to work in the US. This question is asked so that if
you are the successful candidate, Human Resources can work with
your work unit to begin the process of obtaining this visa).
- Yes, I will require sponsorship prior to employment.
- Yes, I will require sponsorship for continued employment if hired.
- No, I do not require sponsorship and am eligible to work in the US.
- * Were you ever found to have engaged in any sexual violence or
sexual harassment in a previous work assignment? (Required under UW
System Administrative Policy 1275)
- * Are you currently under investigation or have ever left
employment during an active investigation in which you were accused
of sexual violence or sexual harassment? (Required under UW System
Administrative Policy 1275)
- * Please provide your most recent employer, supervisor name and
contact information, including phone number and email address.
(Pursuant to UW System Administrative Policy 1275, UW System
requires reference checks related to sexual harassment and sexual
violence to be conducted at a minimum with a final candidate’s most
recent employer and with all previous UW System institution and
State of Wisconsin agency employers from the past seven years. UW-L
will notify you prior to contacting your supervisor).
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education Web Site
- Discipline-Specific Publication/Web Site
- HERC Web Site
- HigherEdJobs.com Web Site
- Job Center of Wisconsin Web Site
- Minority Publication/Web Site
- University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Social Media (i.e. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)
- University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Web Site
- La Crosse Tribune
- Personal Referral
- WinonaDailyNews.com, LaCrosseTribune.com, ChippewaHerald.com, Journaltimes.com, Kenoshanews.com, Madison.com
- Department of Workforce Development (WISC)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Reference Contact Information
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert