International Affairs Associate
- American Physical Society
- Working from home
- Commensurate with experience
- Posted Date
- Mar 22, 2023
- Position Type
- Jobs Outside Academe, Non-profit & Government Organizations
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
International Affairs Associate
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
The International Affairs Associate broadly supports the activities and work streams of the International Affairs team within the American Physical Society, External Affairs Office, with a focus on supporting the International Programs Manager. The role of the International Affairs team is to forge and sustain partnerships with relevant domestic and international stakeholders to help drive APS’s priorities under its mission to serve as a Welcoming Global Hub for the world’s physicists. This role will assist with the Society’s international strategy development and efforts to increase the value proposition of APS membership and other offerings to physicists outside of the US as well as assisting with the development and management of metrics and reporting systems to measure the effectiveness of the department’s initiatives and the Society’s international priorities. Come play an integral role in increasing engagement with physicists worldwide. Apply Today!
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. This position could require at times in office work, various geographic events and meeting attendance as instructed by your Supervisor. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
- Assist with day-to-day management of the International Affairs department’s programs and activities
- Assist with development, implementation, and tracking of metrics for APS international programs, initiatives, and global engagement
- Analyze data and create reports on international attendance at the annuals meetings
- Assist with the management of International Research Travel Award Program
- Assist with the administration of Distinguished Students-Ukraine program
- Assist with the management of the APS March Meeting satellite events abroad
- Manage logistical arrangements of meetings for the department, international advisory committees, and international roundtables
- Manage logistical and technical aspects of webinars organized with internal and external partners on international-related topics
- Contribute to department’s strategic development discussions
- Liaise with international physics leaders and partnering organizations, develop diplomatic correspondence and communications
- Assist with the management and formatting of the African Physics Newsletter
- Assist with management of the Committees on International Scientific Affairs (CISA) and International Freedom of Scientists (CIFS), including organization of committee meetings, and development of strategic materials and minutes
- Assist Director with drafting of talking points, presentation slides, and memos on international-related topics for APS leadership
- Manage and maintain the global engagement mapping tool/website
- Manage logistical arrangements for Young Physicist Forums and International Young Leaders Forum
- Assist with management of the Global Member Spotlight initiative
- Assist with the promotion of APS programs, events, and resources to various global audiences
- Administer Lectureships
Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent required. Bachelor’s Degree required.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of 3 years of administrative experience
- Background and interest in developing and maintaining metrics
- Experience in strategizing
- Exceptionally strong writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to partner with other departments, volunteers, and external partners toward program development
- Ability to represent departments in a diplomatic and professional manner
- Proven ability for strategic thinking and program development
- International relations experience highly desired
- Strong editing/proofreading skills
- Strong organizational and program management skills
- Ability to work independently, with little supervision
- Experience with commonly used technology platforms, including Gmail, word processing, and spreadsheets
Travel: This position could require in-office work at times, as well as occasional travel to various US-based events and meetings as instructed by your Supervisor.
Our physical offices are located in College Park, MD, Washington D.C and Hauppauge, N.Y. We are operational in most US states. We are not operational in all 50 states. The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access within the United States, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. APS allows flexible work hours; responsiveness is required, however, during the core 9 am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time workday.
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
- Web Presence:
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All APS Employees must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination via our secured vaccination portal Safeter upon hire, unless they have an HR approved medical or religious exemption. The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert