Senior Public Relations Strategist
- University of New England
- Portland, Maine
- $65-$80K annually + benefits
- Posted Date
- Mar 22, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Communications, Other Communications, Public Relations & Advertising
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The Public Relations Strategist will work to publicize the University of New England with the goal of brand awareness and name recognition locally, regionally, nationally and globally. Under the direction of the Director of Communications and Public Relations, the Public Relations Strategist will find stories across the university’s campuses that tell the UNE story through print, broadcast, and digital news media. The Strategist will cultivate and maintain relationships with members of the local, regional, and national media, and they will research and write stories about UNE that enhance the visibility and reputation of the university and advance the overall mission of the Office of Communications. The Public Relations Strategist will also assist the Director of Public Relations in university crisis communications.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with faculty, professional staff, and administrators to ensure a positive and ongoing flow of communication. Draw on these relationships to learn about compelling stories within UNE’s colleges, departments and programs. Execute a media relations plan that integrates strategic planning goals and objectives and promotes UNE’s academics, research, activities, and programs. Cultivate and maintain productive relationships with writers and editors locally, regionally, and nationally. Proactively identify, pitch, and place stories in local, regional, and national print, broadcast, and digital outlets Respond to media requests for information and interviews Communicate news about special events, programs, and research via press releases Monitor local, regional, national and international news for stories involving the university or that may pertain to UNE and/or its programs Assist faculty and professional staff in writing or editing op-eds and provide training to faculty, professional staff members and students for both print and broadcast interviews Work collaboratively with members of the communications team to advance team objectives and communications and marketing campaigns Perform other communications duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, marketing, communications or related field required. Seven plus years of demonstrated success in journalism, public relations or communications. Established and productive media relationships and expertise in print, broadcast, and digital news media. Excellent writing skills and experience writing for print and digital platforms. Outstanding communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills. Ability to develop strong collaborative partnerships and earn trust within the organization. Demonstrated ability to design and execute a strategic and successful public relations program that raises the profile of the university. Ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously, to develop appropriate priorities, and meet strict deadlines. Flexibility to work occasional nights and weekends. Ability to effectively communicate university strategic decisions and messages to a variety of stakeholders. Must be a self-starter, energetic and strategic thinker with a passion for innovation, collaboration and team work. High level of discretion is required. Must possess a strong understanding of web technologies including social media.
UNE is the largest private university in Maine, with roots dating back to 1831. One of the fastest-growing private universities in the Northeast, UNE has established itself as a leading comprehensive university with particular strengths in the health sciences, and with vibrant academic programs offered both onsite and online to nearly 14,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students each year. UNE is guided by core values of student-centeredness; diversity, inclusion, and connection; relentless inquiry; interdisciplinary collaboration; learning everywhere; progressive change; and stewardship of our planet.
UNE offers a generous comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees. This includes varied health and dental plans; a retirement plan that includes up to an 8% match; extensive paid leave including holidays, vacation, sick and personal time; and educational benefits. Please visit the Human Resources Benefits site (https://www.une.edu/hr/benefits) for additional information regarding UNE’s fantastic benefits package.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert