- Chabot-Las Positas Community College District
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 21, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Counsellor Education
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Position Type: Faculty
Tenure Information: Tenure Track
Position Code: 3YCG01
Pay Rate (or Annual Salary): $81,507 - $110,636/annual
Job Location: Las Positas College, 3000 Campus Hill Dr., Livermore, CA 94551
Department: Student Services
The Las Positas Community
Las Positas College provides an inclusive, learning-centered, equity-focused environment that offers educational opportunities and support for completion of students' transfer, degree, and career-technical goals while promoting lifelong learning. At Las Positas College we know that equity will be achieved by changing the impacts of structural racism, ableism, homophobia, and systematic poverty on student success and access to higher education, achieved through continuous evaluation and improvement of all services. We believe in a high-quality education focused on learning and an inclusive, culturally-relevant environment that meets the diverse needs of all our students and staff.
Equity is parity in student educational outcomes; it places belonging for students of color and disproportionately impacted students at center focus. Our prized and emerging equity efforts include Puente, Umoja, ConnectUp, Brother 2 Brother, Sister 2 Sister, Black Student Union, Presidential Task Force on Systemic and Institutionalized Racism, the Presidential Speaker Series, Black Education Association, UndocuAlly Taskforce, curriculum reviews and a linguistic justice curriculum.
Located in Livermore, Las Positas College is becoming an institution that reflects the diversity in California. We are a learning-centered institution focused on excellence and student success, and are fully committed to supporting all Tri-Valley residents in their quest for education and advancement.
Joining Our College Community
We seek equity-minded applicants who demonstrate they understand the benefits diversity brings to an educational community. We look for applicants who:
1. Value and intentionally promote diversity and consciousness of difference2. Demonstrate cultural humility and an ongoing desire to improve cultural competence
3. Are dedicated to addressing issues of social justice4. Accept their shared role and responsibility in addressing opportunity and achievement gaps experienced by students5. Have experience and success in closing student equity gaps and engaging in equitable practices, or are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about implementing practices that achieve these goals6. Actively seek to identify, disrupt, and remove institutional and/or systemic barriers that adversely impact historically marginalized communities7. Empower the underrepresented and underserved8. Foster students' potential to become global citizens and socially responsible leaders9. Believe that all people have the right to an education and work environment free from fear, harassment, or discrimination
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a Counselor/Instructor designated for Athletics for Las Positas College in Livermore.
This position reports directly to the Dean of Student Services.
The Counselor / Instructor for Athletics shall:
1. Provide comprehensive counseling services to students including academic, career and personal counseling on a drop-in and appointment basis.
2. Assist student athletes with the development and regular updating of Student Education Plans.
3. Develop, implement and coordinate counseling services, with an emphasis on service for student athletes.
4. Provide orientations and workshops to groups on various counseling topics.
5. Promote academic and support services information to prospective student athletes from local high schools in the Chabot-Las Positas College District and contiguous districts.
6. Organize and execute special projects involving students, staff, or the general public relating to the counseling of student athletes.
7. Assist with program development, complete program review, and contribute to categorical site visits and other reports related to counseling and matriculation services.
8. Assist in retention of student athletes, and remain current on information relative to athletic eligibility through the California Community College Athletic Associations, National Collegiate Athletic Association, and National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics.
9. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, administrators and students, specifically the Athletic Director or college officer responsible for athletic eligibility.
10. Work with minimal supervision; accept flexible work schedule that may include evenings or other alternative scheduling as needed; and, perform related duties as assigned.
11. Teach Psychology Counseling courses.
12. Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Dean or Vice President of Student Services.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Master’s in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy or marriage, family and child counseling, OR the equivalent.
(NOTE: A bachelor’s degree in one of the listed degrees and a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) is an alternative qualification for this discipline.)
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2023 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document”. If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in its place and state you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. (PST) on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement”.
Evidence of a sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities.
1. At least one year of counseling experience within a community college or higher education setting.
2. Previous experience with academic, career and personal counseling and advisement to include experience counseling student athletes at the high school or collegiate level.
3. Experience developing community college curriculum and instructional methods.
4. Experience working with vocational and transfer students in a college setting.
5. Knowledge of athletic eligibility and success / retention strategies relevant to student athletes.
Job Work Schedule: Schedule
Physical Demands and Working Environment:
INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES WHO ARE UNABLE TO CARRY OUT THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION WILL RECEIVE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS TO ENABLE THEM TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION.
Posting Number: F136P
Open Date: 03/21/2023
Close Date: 4/11/2023
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
The Board of Trustees has implemented a vaccine mandate for all employees. Accordingly, finalist(s) must comply with the vaccine mandate prior to being forwarded to the Board of Trustees for approval. See vaccine mandate information at
Notification to Applicants:
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.
Instructions for Personal Qualifications Statement:
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
To apply, visit https://clpccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/2663
It is the policy of this District to provide equal opportunity in all areas of employment practices and to assure that there shall be no discrimination against any person on the basis of sex, ancestry, age, marital status, race, religious creed, mental disability, medical condition (including HIV and AIDS), color, national origin, physical disability, family or sexual preference status and other similar factors in compliance with Title IX, Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, other federal and state non-discrimination regulations, and its own statements of philosophy of objectives. The District encourages the filing of applications by both sexes, ethnic minorities, and the disabled.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert