Assistant/Associate Professor of Education (Educational
Leadership K-12) - Fall 2022
Assistant or Associate Professor
Commensurate with education and experience.
Full-Time Tenure Track
College of Education
Dept of Educational Leadership
Dr. Julie Combs
Department Educational Leadership
Sam Houston State University
TEC Room 319
P.O. Box 2119
Huntsville, TX 77341
Duties Performed in the Usual Course of the Job
Full-time tenure-track (9 month) position teaching graduate-level
courses. Summer teaching opportunities may be available based on
student demand. The anticipated start date of this position is Fall
1. Primary teaching responsibilities are in the face-to-face
doctoral program in education leadership at the Woodlands campus
(The Woodlands, TX) and the online master’s program for the school
leadership (principal) program.
2. Serve on and eventually chair dissertation committees.
3. Engage in scholarly research, writing, and professional
presentations demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications and
4. Work collaboratively with faculty, school districts, and other
education institutions and agencies.
5. Serve in program, institutional, regional, state, and national
6. Engage in program advising and student recruitment
7. Collaborate on the growth of the programs in the Educational
8. Participate in professional organizations.
Educational Requirements for the Position
Earned Doctorate in educational leadership or related field prior
to August 2022.
Experience Required for the Position
1. Work experience in K-12 schools or related agencies
2. Experience conducting independent research (i.e.,
3. Demonstrated capacity for successful tenure and promotion (e.g.,
peer-reviewed publications, program evaluations, presentations,
Other Requirements for the Position
1. At least three years of work experience in K-12 as a campus or
district leadership position.
2. Principal certification.
3. Evidence of advocacy for diverse populations.
4. Online teaching experience.
Special Instructions Summary
1. Cover letter explaining how you meet required and preferred
2. Submit one scholarly writing product that demonstrates your
3. A maximum 150-word statement on each of the following (to be
uploaded as one combined document under Statement of Research and
a. Plan for developing a research agenda to meet tenure and
b. Philosophy on educating diverse populations;
c. Philosophy of teaching adult populations.
4. Submit Curriculum Vitae highlighting the following areas (i.e.,
education, school/district leadership experiences, post-secondary
teaching, educator certifications, degrees earned, research
activities (publications and presentations).
Open Until Filled
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free
Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status,
citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran
status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender
identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at
will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional
terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require
background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Have you earned a doctorate degree in Educational Leadership
or related field?
- * Do you have any previous work experience in K-12 schools or
- * Do you have 3 or more years of work experience in K-12 on a
campus or district leadership position?
- * Do you hold a current certification as a principal or school
- * Do you have experience conducting independent research (i.e.,
- * Have you previously submitted a peer-reviewed manuscript for
- * Have you conducted or facilitated program evaluations or
- * Do you have experience teaching online?
- * Do you have work experience at the post-secondary level?
- * How did you learn about this position?
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- HBCU Connect - Historically Black Colleges and
- HACU - Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities
- The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education
- Association for Women in Science
- TWC - Work in Texas
- Inside Higher Ed
- Higher Ed Jobs
- HERC - Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
- SHSU Website
- SHSU Employee
- If your response to the question above was 'Other' please
indicate from what source.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae (Faculty)
- Writing Sample
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Statement of Research & Goals
- Teaching Evaluations