ADULT EDUCATOR - ENGLISH GED (PART-TIME)
Truman College is seeking a Part-Time English GED Adult Educator to
provide instruction to students enrolled in our Adult Education
Department. Adult Education is a comprehensive program of free
classes for adult students who need to learn English and improve
their basic literacy skills, obtain a GED certificate, prepare for
the Citizenship, or gain the knowledge needed for transition to
college and career pathways. For this position, we are looking for
a English Instructor to teach in our GED courses. Availability to
teach in-person and at an off-site location required.
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE :
- To provide instruction to students enrolled in the Adult
Education program at the City Colleges of Chicago.
- Develops class syllabi & appropriate class materials &
curriculum for class instruction.
- Takes attendance & monitors class enrollment.
- Evaluates student progress & extra instruction needs;
refers student for tutoring as needed.
- Administers progress tests to students & assigns grades
based on test results.
- Prepares reports to senior management regarding test scores,
student participation & student progress.
- Keeps abreast of state rules & regulations regarding Adult
- Stays abreast of the pedagogy of teaching & adjusts
teaching methods accordingly.
- Attends regular staff meetings with Adult Education Managers
& Adult Education Coordinators to receive information regarding
program policies & procedures.
- Assists with program registration.
- Participates in staff development programs as required.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
Thank you for your interest in CCC!
- BS, BA from a regionally accredited university/college in a
discipline appropriate to instructional subject, preferably
English, Linguistics, Psycholinguistics, a Foreign Language,
Elementary or Secondary Education with ESL endorsement (ESL) and/or
Education required. M.Ed., MA, MAT, or MS from a regionally
accredited university/college in Teaching English as a Second
Language, Applied Linguistics, Linguistics, Curriculum and
Instruction with emphasis in ESL, Adult Education, Secondary
Education &/or Elementary Education with ESL Endorsement and
- International degree(s) evaluated by a certified provider (e.g.
E.C.E., W.E.S., etc.).
- Official transcript(s) reflect sufficient subject-relevant
coursework to teach ESL.
- Submitted sample lesson plans, syllabi and/or teaching
portfolio that reflect skills in area(s) of instruction, including
computer literacy & adult learning practices.
- Knowledge of current adult education classroom assessment
- Passed GED practice examination and/or ISBE/CPS certification
examination for the subject area assigned to teach.
- References and work experience contracts verified, including
instructional experience with adults with at least one of the
- K-12 certification
- Verified significant instructional experience with adults or
other discipline related experience.
- 15 graduate hours or more in the discipline that they will be
- Current enrollment in a subject appropriate, master’s degree
program at an accredited university/college.