Director, Governmental Affairs
- West Valley-Mission Community College District
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 21, 2023
- Position Type
- Executive, Chancellors & Presidents
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Director, Governmental Affairs & Chief of Staff
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 4/17/2023
The Chancellor's Office is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Director, Governmental Affairs and Chief of Staff.
Under the direction of the Chancellor, the Director, Governmental Affairs and Chief of Staff will serve as the chief advisor and aide to the Chancellor; serve as a systems integrator across and amongst internal and external stakeholders and leaders; coordinate actions with the Executive Management Team (EMT) and Cabinets, and collaborate with the Chancellor's direct reports and college executive management; and oversees and inform the Chancellor of the day-to-day operations of the office, including budget, staffing, and operating procedures. They will also execute a shared vision between District that results in a cohesive briefing/meeting style for Chancellor and Board of Trustees (BOT) events and public forums.
Comprised of two colleges, West Valley College and Mission College, we are located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate our two colleges for our friendly staff and supportive atmosphere.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
This is an administrator position with an anticipated start date of June 1, 2023. This is an exempt, management position and is not subject to overtime.
Work Location: West Valley-Mission Community College District.
Salary and Benefits:
- Initial Hire Range: $152,177 - $162,071 annually (Administrative Salary Schedule, Range 21, Steps A-C ).
- Additional compensation: $1,500 for doctorate added to base salary annually, to be prorated on a monthly basis.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Employer-provided life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 22 days vacation leave accrued annually (25 days after 5 years).
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Professional development and renewal leave.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience related to the area of assignment, including one year of supervisory responsibility.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business or public administration, educational leadership, political science, strategic leadership or a related field.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serves as key advisor and thought partner to the Chancellor to translate goals and vision into plans of action; at the direction of the Chancellor, manages high-impact and high- visibility projects requiring sensitivity and cross-functional coordination.
- At the direction of the Chancellor, serves as lead change champion for assigned District efforts; supports and moves new initiatives forward by resolving issues or obstacles impeding cohesive movement towards organizational goals; provides clear timely communication regarding project scope and status to ensure stakeholder buy-in and mission alignment.
- Collaborates with senior executives to identify business, government, and educational partnerships to further the strategic goals and initiatives of District areas and departments; identifies potential and/or necessary internal and external stakeholders, and builds strong working relationships with local, state, and federal elected officials and their staff.
- Establish positive working relationship with legislators and representatives of local and state governmental agencies, educational institutions, and the State Chancellor’s Office; plan, develop and coordinate advocacy initiatives and campaigns; prepare and represent the district’s approved legislative positions in legislative hearings and meetings, or in writing.
- Track, review and monitor relevant, pending local, state and federal legislation; assess impact and prepare legislation analysis for the Chancellor; create and administer legislator campus visits and recognition programs.
- Develop, plan, and implement district-wide goals and objectives, policies and procedures relative to governmental relations and public communications functions, including communications, media relations, legislative advocacy, and community outreach.
- Advise the Chancellor on public relations opportunities and concerns; promote the mission and major policy directives, views, and program initiatives of the Chancellor; prepare district resolutions of recognition by the Board of Trustees; write policy and management directive fact sheets; and create newsletters, e-mail updates, articles and strategic communications for the Chancellor, and executive officers.
- Develop, produce, and implement internal communication vehicles to keep employees informed of news, decisions, plans, legislation, reports, events and accomplishments.
- Assists the Chancellor in overseeing the daily activities and needs of the Office of the Chancellor; prioritizes and ensures timely and effective responses and strategies to critical incidents and events.
- Identifies and leverages subject matter expertise and competencies in staff and senior executives in order to support and accomplish major initiatives requiring coordinated and sustained efforts across the District; supports and encourages professional and career development to increase team effectiveness and efficiency.
- Supports EMT by facilitating training and conference participation, retreat and self- evaluation activities, as well as goal-setting for EMT and Chancellor; serves as the primary liaison to the Office of the Chancellor and Legislative and Policy Oversight Committee, and represents the Chancellor at assigned meetings and events as needed.
- Utilizes strong working relationships and partnerships across the District to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the Office of the Chancellor; recognizes and supports diverse and inclusive work processes in line with the purpose and mission of the District and to ensure the success of current initiatives and establish processes for future projects.
- Ensures that assigned projects and initiatives are community focused and support the mission and objectives of the District; solicits and utilizes feedback to increase task and group cohesion,
- Provides supervision and direction to assigned District staff; assigns, directs and evaluates the performance of all direct reports; establishes goals and objectives for assigned areas of responsibility in alignment with strategic plans and administrative program review.
- Performs other duties, related to the position, as assigned.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741-2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert