- Dartmouth College
- New Hampshire, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 21, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Professional Fields, Vocational & Technical Fields, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Auxiliary Services, Food Services Management
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Open Until Filled
Department this Position Reports to
Dartmouth Dining Services
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Schedule: Tuesday-Saturday, 6pm-2.30am; Sunday/Monday off
Location of Position
Hanover, NH 03755
Class of 1953 Commons
5 Mass Row
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
Under close supervision, assists with the preparation of food items regularly listed on the daily menu in the dining facilities and for catered functions. Works in any general cooking area where needed, e.g. grill station, breakfast,salad room, bakery shop, routine catered orders, etc. Receives on-the-job training in general food service and sanitation procedures and in proper use and cleaning of kitchen equipment and machinery.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
1-2 years of experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- One year of relevant experience in food preparation; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Food service experience in an institutional establishment is preferred.
- High School graduate or the equivalent.
- Understanding of basic sanitation regulations and proper food protection procedures.
- Familiarity with standard cooking methods and procedures.
- Ability to read, understand and follow recipes.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and ability to follow customer relations policies and procedures.
- Basic math and measurement skills.
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Willingness to work varied shifts and overtime as required.
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse community.
Admin HR Services
Department Contact Phone Number
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
Department Contact's Phone Number
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Dartmouth vehicle or off road vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this job?
Not an essential function
Special Instructions to Applicants
UNION POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE TO SEIU UNION MEMBERS ONLY DURING THE FIRST WEEK OF POSTING . AFTER ONE WEEK OF POSTING, IF THE POSITION HAS NOT BEEN FILLED INTERNALLY, IT IS OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE DARTMOUTH COMMUNITY .
OPEN TO UNION MEMBERS ONLY FROM (3/20/23) THROUGH (3/26/23).
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending employment.
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details, please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
Schedule: Tuesday-Saturday, 6pm-2.30am; Sunday/Monday off
- Assists with the preparation of food items.
- Washes, peels, cuts, and seeds vegetables and fruits.
- Cleans, cuts and grinds meats, poultry, and seafood.
- Dips food items in crumbs, flour, and batter to bread them. Stirs and strains soups and sauces.
- Weighs and measures designated ingredients.
- Carries pans, kettles, and trays of food to and from work stations, stove and refrigerator.
- Stores foods in designated areas, maintaining an awareness of temperature requirements and potential for food spoilage.
- Learns and follows safety precautions and proper food handling and storage procedures.
- Cleans and properly stores kitchen equipment and machinery.
- Checks refrigerators and freezers for safe food temperatures, notifies supervisor of unusual changes.
- Other duties as required.
Percentage Of Time
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
We are actively striving to make Campus Services a desired place to work in the Upper Valley, a place where people feel welcomed, where they can be their authentic selves, be heard, and feel accepted. We want this culture to be felt by those who receive our services. The way we treat one another should be the same way we treat our customers.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
- Participates in division wide DEI initiatives and training, including promotion of the 7 Principles (Empathy, Fair, Dependable, Inclusive, Considerate, Vulnerability and Respect)
- Willingness to foster a growth mindset in the areas of increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion across the division
- Collaborates, when appropriate, on other DEI -related initiatives within the division and College
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
Performs other duties as assigned
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral (Please specify full name below)
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered, 'Internal Employee Referral' or 'Other' to the
above question, please specify here:
(Open Ended Question)
Required Documents Optional Documents
- Cover Letter
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert