Vice Provost for Research
- American University of Beirut
- Lebanon, Beirut, Lebanon
- Salary upon request
- Posted Date
- Mar 21, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Institutional Research & Planning, Research Administration, Executive, Provosts
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Vice Provost for Research
American University of Beirut
The American University of Beirut seeks an ambitious and dynamic Vice Provost for Research to advance the university's research excellence and impact associated with its mission. The incumbent will lead research administration and partnerships and will work closely across the university with deans, institute and center directors, academic and administrative support units, faculty, staff, and students, and in partnership with the university leadership to provide state-of the-art services to researchers and drive forward AUB's multi-disciplinary research enterprise.
- PhD degree with at least 10 years relevant experience in seeking international funding, working on grant-funded projects, and leading research-related initiatives and teams.
- A strong understanding of the complete life cycle of research from idea development to grant-seeking, grant-writing, grant administration, data collection and management, to knowledge production and translation into inventions, products, and policies.
- Experience anticipating and identifying emerging funding opportunities from major external sources.
- Extensive knowledge about the development of grant proposals by universities, including grant submissions for governmental and non-governmental funding agencies, foundations, and non-profit organizations.
- Familiarity with recent trends in research administration, production, and dissemination as well as in open-access as applied to data and publications;
- Well-versed in relevant guidelines pertaining to research integrity, human/animal research subject protection, and research compliance;
- Demonstrated record of upholding high standards of professional and research ethics and respect of confidentiality;
- Ability to build and sustain regional and global partnerships with diverse stakeholders;
- Strong project management and time-management skills with ability to remain organized while managing multiple projects and responsibilities;
- Ability to develop and implement strategic plans, and to identify, design and implement business process improvements using best practices and state-of-the-art platforms;
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to gain the trust and cooperation of others and facilitate communication among team members while ensuring commitment to meeting strict timelines;
- Strong analytical, problem solving, critical thinking, organizational, and financial planning skills;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication with fluency in English and the ability to be accurate and compelling.
- Lead the establishment of an Office and Research and the development and implementation of strategy to advance the university's research and creative work agenda;
- Galvanize efforts of faculty members, researchers, and academic/administrative units in seeking funding opportunities, developing successful research projects, and translating research outcomes into inventions, products, and/or policies;
- Promote translational research, technology transfer and intellectual property management to stimulate innovation;
- Transform systems and business processes based on best practices and state-of-the-art platforms to enhance research operational effectiveness and infrastructure/facilities across the university, while working with academic and administrative leaders to ensure the achievement of mutual goals;
- Oversee and scale up functions and services related to grant development, administration, financial management, and reporting (pre-award and post-award);
- Develop and promote systems to link data sources on research within the university and to articulate and disseminate the university's research production, strengths, and impact to internal and external audiences;
- Guide the development of strategic partnerships with peer institutions, organizations, and funding agencies locally, regionally, and globally;
- Ensure compliance with the requirements offunding agencies and regulatory bodies and with the university's policies and procedures related to research integrity and intellectual property;
- Support and provide substantive input to initiatives to encourage student research both at the undergraduate and graduate levels;
- Identify needs and opportunities as well as funding for professional development and mentorship of researchers and capacity building of research support staff;
- Work on assigned projects with and provide advice to the President and the Provost in areas relevant to research advancement, and represent the university in research-related events and meetings nationally, regionally, and globally;
- Prepare progress and performance reports based on goals, standards, and target indicators.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit, by June 1, 2023, a complete curriculum vita, a letter describing interest in the position, and the names and contact information of five references to email@example.com. Candidates will be notified before references are contacted.
Founded in 1866, the American University of Beirut (AUB) is a private not-for-profit university that operates under a charter granted by the New York State Board of Regents and administered by the New York Education Department (NYSED). With a rich legacy in education, research and service stretching over 157 years, AUB has a proven track record of positive and transformative impact-on the lives of its students, on the health and prosperity of Beirut and Lebanon, on the strength and vitality of the region, and on the world. AUB was granted institutional accreditation in June 2004 by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSCHE) in the United States and reaffirmed in 2009, 2014, and 2019.
The mission of AUB includes providing excellence in education, participating in the advancement of knowledge through research, and serving the peoples of the Middle East and beyond. AUB faculty members are highly research-active. Promotion and tenure processes follow a specific time-frame and rely on rigorous standards of assessment of scholarly work incorporating international peer review. Research is supported by state-of-the-art facilities, in addition to well developed library and IT support systems, Human Research Protection Program and Office of Grants and Contracts at the university level, with additional support and research facilities available at the faculty/school-level. AUB has seven faculties/schools and close to 8,000 students spanning a rich portfolio of academic programs at the undergraduate, master's and PhD levels.
AUB has managed to continue increasing its research output on an annual basis, moving from 688 journal articles in 2012 to 1,464 in 2021(Scopus, Aug. 2022). Although considered relatively small in size compared to almost all of the well-established universities in the Arab world, AUB continues to rank among the 15 most published universities in the region, producing nearly 1.3% of the league of Arab States total output of journal articles. The university ranks number 252 according to QS World University Rankings 2023 and number 73 worldwide in QS Graduate Employability Ranking 2023.
Research funding available to AUB faculty members includes several internal competitive funding programs with total budget ranging between 3 and 5 million USD per year, as well as extramural grant opportunities. In AY 2021-22, over 200 external research proposals have been submitted to funding agencies, foundations, and industry worth over $110 million USD in total budget.
AUB is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment, as reflected in its Policy against Discrimination and Discriminatory Harassment. Founded in 1866, AUB is a private, independent, non-sectarian institution of higher learning operating under a charter from the State of New York and accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). It is a leading university in the Middle East, and an institution open to qualified students without regard to, among other things, race, gender, religion, economic status, or political affiliation. AUB offers a rigorous curriculum in the American liberal arts tradition and world-class professional programs. The university’s seven faculties/schools include the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the Suliman S. Olayan School of Business, the Maroun Semaan Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, the Faculty of Health Sciences, the Faculty of Medicine, and the Rafic Hariri School of Nursing. Also, AUB has a leading medical center that educates medical students and professionals, provides clinical care, and conducts research. Additional information is available at www.aub.edu.lb
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert