Student Services Specialist*, TRIO
- College of Lake County
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 20, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Academic Advising & Academic Support Services, Counseling, Disabled Student Services, Other Student Affairs, Student Activities & Services
- Employment Type
- Part Time
Posting Detail Information
Student Services Specialist*, TRIO
Internal Position Title
Student Services Specialist*
TRiO-Student Support Services
The Student Support Specialist develops relationships with students, CLC departments, and faculty to create a climate of inclusiveness to support the diveristy of TRIO - SSS Scholars. Under the supervision of the Manager, TRIO -Student Support Services, the Student Support Specialist is responsible for managing a caseload of students, assisting with coordinating TRIO - SSS programming and recruiting students. * Continued employment in this position is contingent upon continued grant funding by the Department of Education.
The College of Lake County ( CLC ) is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences.
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers in the State of Illinois for 2019.
Regular Part-Time Board established positions earn Vacation and Sick Leave and Tuition waiver for CLC classes and Tuition Reimbursement for advanced degrees. In addition, employees are eligible to participate in the State University Retirement System ( SURS )
1. A Bachelor’s degree in education, human services, social work, psychology or a Bachelor’s degree in any field with related work experience.
2. Knowledge and understanding of African-American and Latinx cultures and low-income first-generation college students.
3. Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
4. Knowledge and working ability with computers and software.
5. Ability and willingness to maintain confidential information.
6. Ability and willingness to work limited evenings and Saturdays.
7. Ability to sit continuously, walk, stand, and interact with both internal and external public frequently, and bend, squat, climb, kneel, twist, lift (0-50+ lbs), carry (0-50+ lbs), and push (0-300 lbs) occasionally.
8. Proven ability to work effectively and constructively with persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities; demonstrate sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
1. An understanding of TRIO programs and concerns facing program eligible students; ability to work with diverse populations.
2. A Master’s degree in education, human services, social work, psychology or related field.
3. Previous experience working with high school/college students.
4. Bilingual in Spanish and English
Expected Start Date
Special Instructions Summary
This is a part-time, grant funded position. Continued employment is contingent on external funding.
Total Hours per week
Monday through Friday,10am-3pm
Some evening and weekend, but limited
Software Testing Required
Excel, MS Word
Interview Process Requirements
Presentation, Writing Samples
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities.
Summary of Essential Functions
The Student Services Specialist duties shall include but are not limited to the following:
Student & Customer Service 70%
1) Maintain and manage a student caseload with intrusive guidance
2) Support students with setting academic and career goals
3) Assist students in identifying areas of strength and improvement as it relates to academic, personal and social behavior
4)Build collaborative relationships with CLC departments and faculty to communicate and monitor student academic progress
5)Refer students to appropriate resources including Financial Aid Office, Tutoring Center, Career and Job Placement Center and Counseling and Psychological Services
6) Maintain participant records and document student contacts by objective and subjective indicators
7) Track student progress toward completion and transfer
8) Assist students with completing financial aid applications and understanding financial aid policies and procedure
9) Assist in annual reporting process
Project Leadership 20%
1) Arrange and attend learning enrichment activities planned for students, including cultural experiences, seminars, college visits and workshops sessions on career planning, transferring, and financial aid
2) Create, plan, and present a portion of workshops and seminars for students
3) Assist in the coordination of the peer mentoring program
1) Assist in identifying students to participate in the program
2) Attend professional development seminars and workshops to gain information and knowledge applicable to improving the TRIO -Student Support Services program and to learn recent trends in supporting student success
3) Assist in annual reporting process
4) Perform other related functions as determined by the needs of the students and the Manager, TRIO -Student Support Services
Posting Specific Questions - supplemental questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor’s degree in education, human services,
social work, psychology or a Bachelor’s degree in any field with
related work experience?
- * Do you have knowledge and understanding of African-American
and Latinx cultures and low-income first-generation college
- * Do you have the ability to work with confidential
- * Do you have an understanding of TRIO programs and concerns
facing program eligible students; ability to work with diverse
- * Do you have a Master’s Degree in Education, Human Services,
Social Work, Psychology, or related field?
- * Are you bilingual and proficient in Spanish and English?
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert