Volunteer - Friendship Families
- College of Lake County
- Illinois, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 20, 2023
Posting Detail Information
Volunteer - Friendship Families
Internal Position Title
A friendship family is a local community member/family who is interested in showing hospitality and welcome to international students and is open to learning about other cultures. Friendship families will invite international students into the daily rhythms of their lives (i.e. children’s sporting events, family outings, game nights, community events, holiday meals, etc.). Friendship families and their student(s) can decide how frequently to meet, however, the expectation is to meet at least 1-2 times a month during the academic term. Friendship families will be matched with 1-3 international students. STUDENT WILL NOT LIVE WITH YOUR FAMILY !
Does this describe you and your family?
- I/We enjoy meeting and helping people
- I/We could easily welcome guests as friends into my home and life
- All members of my home think this is a good idea
- I/We are open and interested in inviting international students into our daily life/activities
-High School diploma or equivalent.
-Live in Lake County and willingness to be an ambassador of CLC
-Willingness to provide a positive/supportive experience during time together
-Ideal friendship families may have lived abroad themselves or hosted international students in the past
-Willingness to transport students to/from events/friendship family home
-Bilingual in English and other foreign language
Expected Start Date
Special Instructions Summary
Total Hours per week
Designated day for host families visit (typically the second Saturday of the students’ three-week stay).
Software Testing Required
Interview Process Requirements
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities.
Summary of Essential Functions
STUDENT WILL NOT LIVE WITH YOUR FAMILY !
· Pick up/drop off students to/from home/event location
· Show students culturally relevant places, such as museums, local festivals, etc.
· Invite students to attend/participate in family activities such as sporting events, concerts, community events, hiking, or other excursions (day trips)
· Provide meals to student while in your home (ex: Thanksgiving Dinner, holiday meals, Friday night pizza, etc.)
· Assist students with settling-in tasks: trips to the bank, setting up a cell phone, transportation to local grocery stores, ethnic markets, etc.
· Support/attend Department of Global Engagement events with students (ex: Independence Grove Picnic, International Education Week)
Posting Specific Questions - supplemental questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
- * Do you live in Lake County and have willingness to be an
ambassador of CLC?
- * Are you willing to provide a positive/supportive experience
during time together?
- * Have you ever lived abroad yourself or hosted international
students in the past?
- * Are you willing to transport students to/from
events/friendship family home?
- * Do you have speaking skills in other foreign languages?
Required DocumentsOptional Documents
- Other Document
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert