Community Outreach Coordinator
- San Diego State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 20, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Research Administration
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Community Outreach Coordinator
Req No: 2023-15167
Type: Full-Time Contract
Salary: $21.47 - $25.00 per hour
The Center for Tobacco and the Environment (CTE) at San Diego State University is an open, community-engaged, inter-, and transdisciplinary research center that serves the diverse communities affected by the environmental impacts of commercial tobacco sales and use. The mission of the Center is to prevent, reduce, and eliminate tobacco's toxic legacy of environmental pollution and harm to human health caused by decades of this commercial tobacco sales and use. The Center is home to a diverse group of researchers from the Colleges of Science, Health and Human Services, Professional Studies and Fine Arts, and Arts and Letters. This position will provide project management support for principal investigators at CTE.
Purpose of the Position
The incumbent** will be responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating community health outreach and education for extramurally funded tobacco research projects. The incumbent will also contribute to overall program planning, implementation, coordination, and evaluation to meet project milestones and goals. Research projects conducted by this unit are led by investigators from San Diego State University in collaboration with researchers from other research, academic, and clinical institutions throughout the US. An understanding of the research process, effective and efficient communication skills, excellent organizational skills, and attention to detail are critical for successful completion of responsibilities.
**Please note that due to the potential for the contamination of study samples, all members of the research group must be a nonsmoker and non-user of tobacco, electronic cigarettes, and marijuana, and must reside with nonsmokers/ nonusers.
Working under the general direction of the Project Coordinators, the Incumbent will be responsible for outreach activities of multiple projects at CTE. The Incumbent will engage, educate, and mobilize community members to respond to tobacco-related issues in their own communities and will assist with day-to-day management of one or more research studies including: program planning and implementation; participant recruitment, retention, and follow up; data collection and analysis; and preparation of progress reports for the funding agencies. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
Represent the research unit and/or specific projects to community organizations, elected officials, and other stakeholders.
Assist with coordination of communication among the study team(s), and community organizations to ensure community involvement.
Identify key stakeholders (individuals and organizations) in targeted communities and engage their support for and participation in specific projects.
Develop and sustain community-based collaboration to meet project timeline/goals.
Recruit, train, and support volunteers/participants (i.e., individual community residents, members of community organizations) to meet project timeline/goals.
Develop and implement education dissemination plans that utilizes a combination of face-to-face meetings, social media platforms, and website.
Develop educational materials appropriate for low literacy, culturally diverse communities.
Assist with development of study protocols, surveys, and data collection tools; review and confirm data quality; data analysis and manuscript preparation.
Assist with preparation of regular progress and final reports to funding agencies in a timely manner.
Other duties as assigned in support of day-to-day operations.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to interact effectively with co-workers, researchers, community members, and study participants
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines, attend to details, and exercise good judgment and common sense
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of cross-cultural sensitivity
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in community outreach or related activities
- Experience working as part of an interdisciplinary team with progressively increasing responsibility
- Experience in community development working collaboratively with organizations/ advocacy and/or similar initiatives relevant to environmental health or environmental justice
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Experience in community health education/communication
Preferred Qualifications and Special Skills
- Master’s degree or other advanced training in Psychology, Public Health, or a related field.
- Ability to translate scientific findings for stakeholder groups and the general public.
- Two years of previous project management experience.
- Experience with research study protocol development and implementation.
- Experience with conducting community-based data collection (e.g., survey data, environmental or biological samples)
- Experience with IRB protocols and review.
- Data management experience.
- Online data collection experience (e.g., Qualtrics, REDCap, Google forms)
- Data analyses experience (e.g., SPSS, Stata, or R).
- CITI Human Subjects Research Training.
- Research collaboration tools experience (e.g., video conferencing)
- Social media experience (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook).
- Bilingual: Spanish, Somali, Tagalog, or Vietnamese.
ADDITIONAL APPLICANT INFORMATION:
- The COVID-19 vaccine is required by the CSU for all SDSU Research Foundation employees as a condition of employment. Should you be offered a position, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination status. Individuals who obtain an approved medical or religious exemption on file will be required to complete regular COVID-19 testing
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation
- San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
To apply, visit https://careers-sdsurf.icims.com/jobs/15167/community-outreach-coordinator/job?in_iframe=1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert