Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant
leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We
envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all
identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully
included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent
every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally
recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of
public policy, law, the arts, communications, international
development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented,
and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its
strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for
all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for
creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here .
The Assistant Director of Events is responsible for managing events
for SIS. Responsibilities include event planning, design, contract
and vendor negotiations, site selections, budgeting, and logistics
for approved school-level events; advising faculty and departments
on program- and department-level events; and working closely with
Special Assistant to the Dean on strategic planning and assessment
of event opportunities. The position manages advertising and
marketing for all SIS events and works closely with SIS
Communications & Marketing to ensure that language and graphics
meet AU brand standards and align with AU editorial style. The
incumbent works closely with the SIS Hub, the SIS Facilities
Manager and SIS Development and Alumni Relations and they liaison
with the broader AU community on events and is the Commencement
Coordinator for SIS graduation ceremonies. This position supervises
work-study students as needed and reports directly to Special Asst.
to SIS Dean. All AU employees are expected to act ethically and
with integrity and supporting a diverse and inclusive
Essential Functions (Cont.)
- Event Planning: For school-level approved events:
- Proposes and manages budgets.
- Reserves event space; confirms room layouts; works with the SIS
Facilities Manager to ensure school events have necessary event
supplies and appropriate furniture.
- Reserves necessary audio-visual needs, including photography,
microphones, streaming support, and captioning.
- Marketing & Communications:
- Responsible for producing content to market and promote
- Compiles weekly event bulletin and drafts dedicated event
emails, coordinating with SIS Digital Content.
- Manager and SIS Communications Coordinator to ensure proofing
and editing of drafts for error-free copy.
- Builds and schedules event emails and weekly event bulletins in
- Provides draft social media posts for all events to SIS Digital
Content Manager with enough lead time for proofing, editing, and
- Strategic Outreach:
- Supports the Special Assistant to the Dean and SIS Dean on
strategic planning to create events that showcase the expertise
within SIS, meet the outreach goals of SIS, and position SIS at the
center of the larger international affairs community in Washington,
- Works with the Special Assistant to the Dean to build audiences
and participants, engage the SIS/AU community, and target a broader
network of policymakers, experts and influencers as both audiences
4. Management & Coordination of Contracts:
- Manages vendor relationships and researches new vendors in
accordance with the needs of each event, acquiring quotes and
negotiating rates, and in compliance with AU procurement
- Works with vendors and the SIS Office of Financial Operations
to prepare and submit all necessary paperwork to ensure the timely
payment of invoices, consultancy agreements, stipends, and any
outstanding payments to vendors.
5. Data Management & Reports
- Provides regular event progress updates and post-event data
reports to the Dean, Special Asst. to SIS, Senior Director,
Marketing & Communications
- Supervises work-study students as needed. Hires, coaches, and
trains staff to ensure they have the information and skills
necessary to meet their job responsibilities. Evaluates their
7. Other Duties as Assigned
- Performs departmental tasks including coordinating meetings and
other administrative duties as assigned.
- Occasional work-study student supervision
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Possibility of one or two hybrid days subject to event
- Occasional evening and weekend event attendance required.
Required Education and Experience
- Sr. Coordinator/ Analyst B
- This is a union-eligible position
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree.
- 4-6 years of relevant experience.
- Familiarity with website maintenance using a content management
system is desirable.
- Familiarity with EventBrite desired.
- Familiarity with an email marketing platform, like MailChimp,
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and to work
effectively with diverse constituencies and across administrative
lines is essential.
- Demonstrated skills in event planning, problem-solving and
- Must be very detail-oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and
interpersonal skills are necessary.
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills are
- Incumbent must be willing and able to work occasional late
nights and/or weekend events.
- Position requires occasional lifting and incumbent must be able
to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Strong computer skills are necessary.
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching
retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their
families, several leadership development certificates, and has been
recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly
worksite.Click here to learn about American University's unique
benefit options .
This position is part of a collective bargaining unit represented
by SEIU Local 500. That means the terms and conditions of your
employment are governed by university policy (including the Staff
Personnel Policies Manual) and any collective bargaining agreement
entered into between American University and SEIU Local 500.
Current American University Employees
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- Employees in staff positions at American University must
deliver their services to the university from either the District
of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, or perform work on-site at the
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive.
- Please note this job announcement is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time
with or without notice.
If you are a current employee at American University, please log
intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU,
please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: