About Unity College:
For more than fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the
next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to
successfully face real-world challenges. With environmentally
focused degrees, Unity College offers affordable and accessible
degrees, certificates, and non-degree courses, through a variety of
modalities including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online.
Through the framework of sustainability science, Unity College
provides a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment
and natural resources. Utilizing experiential and collaborative
learning, our graduates emerge as responsible citizens,
environmental stewards, and visionary leaders.
The Distance Education (DE) Assistant Dean of Environmental
Graduate Studies assists the DE Dean of Graduate Studies in
providing leadership in the Distance Education graduate curriculum.
Distance Education Deans are expected to recruit students to
programs, hire, train, and supervise faculty, assess programs,
provide student support, career advice and mentoring, market
programs, and develop new audiences/partnerships for programs. The
Assistant Dean of Environmental Graduate Studies is a member of the
DE Graduate Faculty. All Distance Education Faculty teach, oversee
program viability and relevance, recruit for programs, advise
students, mentor capstone projects, and provide other services as
Faculty conduct all teaching through the institutions Learning
Management Software (LMS), implement appropriate pedagogical
techniques for the online environment, and provide course materials
in a professional, appropriate, clear, and rigorous manner. This
position works closely with and reports to the Dean of Graduate
Studies and is based in the Unity College Distance Education
offices located in New Gloucester, Maine.
DE Instructional Unit: Curriculum Development, Implementation, and
- Support the Dean of Graduate Studies in maintaining the
integrity of the curriculum, including any accreditation
- Oversee and support the transdisciplinary graduate capstone
- Oversee hiring and supervision of qualified instructors.
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for course design as
- Oversee hiring and supervision of SMEs for course design for
courses within the graduate programs as assigned.
- Demonstrate knowledge of learning models, appropriate online
pedagogies, and effective use of technological tools to support
adult and non-traditional learners.
- Assess and evaluate graduate courses and programs.
- Teach up to 120 student credit hours per calendar year as
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
with the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Other duties as assigned.
DE SEBU: Communication and Student-Focused Collaboration and
- Participate in Distance Education governance (task groups) as
- Demonstrate a high degree of commitment to customer service and
- Work with Distance Education staff and leaders to develop
strategies for effective advising and retention efforts.
- Collaborate with DE academic and student support faculty and
staff to address student concerns.
- Develop and update the course delivery schedule in
collaboration with DE academic and student support faculty and
- Become knowledgeable and articulate about Unity College
Distance Education, its programs, market niche, strategies, and
Unity College: Understanding, Representing, and Working Within the
- Demonstrate understanding of and ability to work within the
Unity College Enterprise Model.
- Professionally represent Unity College Distance Education
through scholarship, outreach, and professional platforms.
Work Schedule / Availability Requirements
- A Masters degree and significant work experience in
environmental studies, interdisciplinary environmental/natural
resource social sciences, or related field. A Ph.D. is
- Strong interest in innovative, accessible higher
- Leadership experience in higher education, teaching, and
assessment. Experience administering online courses in an adult
market is preferred.
- Experience in online course design and LMS use.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including
facility with technical terminology appropriate to the
- Excellent initiative and organizational skills with the ability
to work both autonomously and in a team.
- Great time management skills.
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse
political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical,
socio-emotional, and academic abilities.
- Good skills in word processing, spreadsheets, and computerized
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous, and poised.
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours
required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling
responsibilities and meeting the Colleges needs. Although Unity
College employees are generally scheduled to work at their
specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is
necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend
events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity College
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 40 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity College Headquarters, Unity
College Distance Education, The Technical School for Environmental
Professions (opening in 2022), and the School of Environmental
Business & Sustainable Ventures are based at the Pineland Farms
campus. The facilities are within easy access to one of the
fastest-growing cities for startups in the country.
Unity College offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation
and benefits package for its faculty and staff. Benefits for
eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance