Senior Writer and Content Strategist
Position Start Date:
Chief Communications Officer
The Office of Communications is responsible for the Schools brand
standards, overall messaging, all print and digital publications,
the Sidwell Friends website, video production, media relations,
crisis communications and management, and parent relations and
The Senior Writer and Content Strategist will be responsible for
creating engaging content for a variety of channels and audiences,
including prospective families, current families, alumni, and the
broader Sidwell Friends community. This position requires someone
to be a self-starter and to develop a network of connections across
the School who can provide ideas and connections that will help
with story development. The Writer and Content Strategist will also
develop and implement a comprehensive content strategy, across
digital and print platforms, that aligns with the school's overall
positioning strategy as well as its mission and values.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Create compelling news and magazine articles, website copy,
community messages, blog posts, social media updates, email
campaigns, and other written materials, that effectively
communicate the School's mission and values to a range of
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to understand their
needs and develop content that aligns with their goals and
- Develop and maintain a content calendar that maps out content
production and distribution strategies across various
- Research and stay up to date on trends and best practices in
education and communications and apply them to content development
- Work with the marketing and communications team to develop and
implement a cohesive brand voice and messaging strategy.
- Ensure all content is accurate, well-written, and aligned with
the School's values and mission.
- Work with external vendors as needed to support content
production, including writers, designers, and photographers.
- Bachelors degree required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a media or
educational/corporate communications organization.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with the ability to write
in a range of styles and tones.
- Newspaper or journalism experience a plus.
- Experience in an educational institution a plus.
- A demonstrated track record of writing long-form and short-form
content drawn from interviews and research.
- Experience developing and/or implementing a content strategy
that aligns with organizational goals and objectives.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage
multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Experience working collaboratively with cross-functional
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and social media
Applicants should upload a resume, cover letter and contact
information for three professional references via our on-line