The Technology for Effective and Efficient Learning (TEEL)
at CMU is seeking a postdoctoral fellow who will
contribute to educational research projects that collect and
analyze data on student and workforce learning outcomes to inform
the development and maintenance of the learning infrastructure
(learning management system (LMS), auto-grading, social
interaction) and design of features that enable learning research.
New initiatives include the development of infrastructure and
content for a large-scale governmental and industrial workforce
education in cloud computing, data science, and AI/ML content
delivery through a large number of higher education organizations
across the globe, as well as related research. A special emphasis
will be put on education of the general public about the use and
adoption of AI/ML. The Postdoctoral Fellow will be a member of our
team to develop, maintain, and utilize a project-based online
social learning platform for workforce training at scale.
The TEEL lab develops, maintains, and evaluates a portable and
interoperable online learning ecosystem that enables effective and
efficient learning that leverages social interactions between
students as a substantial learning resource. Furthermore, in
addition to software development, the lab conducts studies of
student learning and evaluates innovative approaches for
incorporating social learning as a driver for developing cognitive
skills and motivation through reflection, interaction, and cohort
Core Responsibilities Will Include
As a postdoctoral fellow in the TEEL Lab, you will be involved with
technology-enabled learning projects primarily related to cloud
computing, data science, and AI/ML. This may involve developing,
deploying, and monitoring learning microservices in a cloud
infrastructure, using containerization, functions as a service, and
other cloud-native technologies.
The fellow is expected to develop content and deliver in-person and
online lectures in one or more of the targeted areas. The position
also involves developing appropriate metrics for assessing student
learning, collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data on student
learning, attitudes, and engagement, reporting on assessment data
and research-based pedagogical strategies, disseminating best
practices, research, and emerging developments on formative
assessment, including partnering with faculty to publish assessment
work. The position may also include consulting with instructors
about teaching and course design, especially as it relates to
effective assessment practices.
How we work in the TEEL Lab
- Learner-centered decision making.
- Fast-paced research-driven environment.
- Ability to respond to urgent requests for production
- Ability to communicate with engineers, researchers, students,
and CSP partners.
- Ability to work independently, take ownership of tasks and
deliver high-quality work.
- Effective collaboration within a team environment.
- Effective project and time management skills.
- A Ph.D. in a related field.
- Demonstrated track-record of applying rigorous quantitative
and/or qualitative research methods to empirically study a research
- Research background in applied ML, natural language processing
(NLP), or data science.
- Demonstrated teaching experience of technical subjects, such as
cloud computing or data science, to people with little to no
- Experience securely managing and analyzing complex data
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including
- Ability to work collaboratively, effectively, and
professionally in settings of social and intellectual
- Ability to successfully navigate ambiguity, balance multiple
competing responsibilities, meet deadlines on time, and
meticulously pay attention to detail.
- Sensitivity to teaching and learning needs at a research
Application Instructions Equal Employment Opportunity
Carnegie Mellon University
- Experience with commercial cloud services such as Microsoft
Azure, AWS or Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with web service development frameworks.
- Experience with RESTful web services.
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Experience building, deploying, monitoring and troubleshooting
containerized microservices using Docker, Kubernetes and Helm.
shall abide by the requirements
of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These
regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals
based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with
disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals
based on their race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors
and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in
employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion,
sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability.