Adjunct Faculty, Diagnostic Medical Sonography
POSITION TITLE: Adjunct Faculty, Diagnostic Medical Sonography
DEPARTMENT: Health and Public Services
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
UNION: Adjunct Union t
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
PLACEMENT: Adjunct Facultyt
MINIMUM PAY RATE:tRefer to the current adjunct faculty
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity,
gender, language, age, and background. Joliet Junior College is an
AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates
who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Adapt to new and changing situations and demonstrate a positive
attitude. Demonstrate respect for students; understand learning
styles and apply understanding to institution-related activities;
demonstrate integrity and promote diversity and open
communications. Fifteen credit hours a semester constitute a normal
load.This position is subject to all terms and provisions of the
Joliet Junior College adjunct faculty contract. Course assignments
may be late afternoon, evening, or Saturday.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach introductory and advanced classes, including a clinical
practicum in Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
2. Participate in course development, assessment, accreditation,
and planning activities.
3. Regularly meet with the Program Coordinator to discuss student
4. Strongly encouraged to attend the meetings and events related to
the program, such as the New Student Orientation and the DMS
Advisory Committee meetings.
5. Be willing to teach online and/or blended courses.
6. Participate in appropriate departmental meetings.
7. Demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and learning as well
as to the achievement of the program’s goals and outcomes.
8. Demonstrate a strong understanding and commitment to the
community college mission.
9. Possess and maintain a thorough knowledge of the subject matter
necessary to the assigned course load, and keep informed of current
trends in the field of Diagnostic Medical Sonography and health
10. Teach classes during non-traditional times (evenings and
weekends) and at clinical and other campus sites as needed.
11. Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet
Junior College adjunct faculty contract.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Possess an academic degree no lower than an Associate degree in
Diagnostic Medical Sonography and at least equal to that for which
the graduates are being prepared.
2. Possess appropriate credentials specific to the concentrations
offered. Must be ARDMS certified at least in one specialty:
Abdomen, OB/GYN, or RVT, and be in good standing. May have the
opportunity to teach specialty courses if appropriate ARDMS
certification is held. These certifications must be maintained on a
3. Have a minimum of at least one year of clinical experience as a
Register Diagnostic Medical Sonographer in the professional
4. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective
working relationships with other members of the college and
community, displaying cultural competence as well as emotional
5. Demonstrated commitment to the college’s core values of respect
and inclusion, sustainability, integrity, collaboration, humor and
well-being, innovation, and quality.
6. Possess current registration in the discipline.
7. Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
8. Valid driver’s license with reliable transportation.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline.
2. ARDMS certified in all three specialties: Abdomen, OB/GYN, and
3. Teaching experience at the collegiate level.
4. Experience with traditional and non-traditional students from
5. English and Spanish verbal and written communication
6. Demonstrated multicultural competence.
1. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop,
kneel, crouch, or crawl.
2. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds,
and occasionally lift and/or move 50 pounds.
3. Specific vision abilities required by this position include
close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and
4. The noise level in the work environment is usually
5. The employee must distinguish audible sounds.
6. Standard classroom equipment and software.
7. Standard hospital equipment and software.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of the position. It is not intended to be
1. Classroom, skills laboratory, and simulation teaching
2. Clinical/hospital units.
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.