Asst or Assoc Professor for Translational Education in the Health Professions (Tenure Track)
- University of Georgia
- Athens, Georgia
- Negotiable and competitive
- Posted Date
- Mar 9, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Health & Medicine
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
This position will be a joint tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor split between the College of Veterinary Medicine (51%) and the College of Pharmacy (49%). The primary academic home for this position is the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology which will serve as the department responsible for promotion and tenure of the incumbent.
The focus of our educational programs is evolving and gaining recognition in translational education by promoting active learning designs and using advanced teaching tools and technologies such as Virtual Reality (VR), Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Simulation. Our goal is to apply these active learning designs and technologies within health profession-related programs or healthcare practice to improve cognitive and active learning skills and to conduct innovative research that enhances how we teach in our Veterinary Medicine and Pharmacy Practice programs.
This position will contribute to the ongoing program of scholarship of teaching and learning in veterinary medicine and pharmacy practice and education. Specifically, this position will provide expertise on the incorporation of innovative technologies, including VR and AI, into the classroom and assess the outcomes of these technologies on student learning and success. This will apply to professional programs in veterinary medicine and pharmacy as well as current undergraduate programs including the One Health Certificate and the new Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Physiology. This type of research will be critical to the success of these programs as we move beyond traditional animal and human specimen handling to innovative technologies that provide the students with the opportunity to experience and learn from these specimens virtually. In addition to the research described above the position will be expected to participate in instruction of undergraduate, professional, and/or graduate students.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values of the University and Colleges, and this hiring initiative will make use of best practices to ensure an inclusive search process.
- Establish and maintain a rigorous and innovative line of research exploring emerging technologies in the health professions.
- Pursue and obtain external funding to support and sustain your research agenda and the goals of the hiring initiative in active learning designs and using advanced teaching tools and technologies such as Virtual Reality (VR), Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Simulation.
- Design and teach undergraduate and graduate-level courses in health sciences and health professions programs in face-to-face, hybrid, and online formats.
- Provide leadership in local, national and/or international partnerships.
- Provide service to the department, college, university and profession.
- Advise graduate students and supervise graduate student research.
A DVM, PharmD, MD, PhD, or other equivalent doctoral degree that is appropriate for teaching within undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs in health care related disciplines
1. Expertise with using and researching emerging technology applications (e.g., artificial intelligence, virtual reality, augmented reality) in the health professions.
2. Strong evidence of applying instructional design in health settings.
3. Proven record of teaching health professions students (DVM, PharmD, MD) that is commensurate with the stage of their professional career and aligned with the areas of research and scholarship associated with this position.
4. Evidence of applying for and/or securing external funding.
5. Leadership in current efforts and future directions of research and practice in the field.
6. Ability to work collaboratively with faculty throughout the university on projects related to translational education in the health professions.
7. An active program of research related to emerging technologies and learning design (i.e., artificial intelligence, virtual reality, augmented reality, etc.) that demonstrates coherent theoretical foundations and potential for high-quality teaching, publications, and external funding.
8. Evidence obtaining external funding to support research in emerging technologies and learning design.
9. Potential to promote collaborative relationships in various educational contexts with particular emphasis in the health professions.
10. Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
11. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Applications received by April 7, 2023 are assured full consideration. We will continue to accept and screen applications until the position is filled. A complete application includes:
- A letter of application that addresses the position qualification (not to exceed 4 pages).
- A curriculum vitae.
- Transcripts for all degrees earned and in progress (unofficial transcripts accepted initially).
- Two samples of scholarly writing.
- A one-page statement of your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including evidentiary examples.
- The names of three references. Official transcripts and letters of reference will be required only from finalists.
Please direct inquiries to the search committee chair, Dr. Jarrod Call, at email@example.com
Please note that this position is contingent on availability of funding.
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert