We are accepting resumes for Utility – Maintenance
Tech/Custodian positions. Please indicate on your resume or cover
letter which shift you are looking for. We will reach out to
qualified candidates as openings become available.
Named the 19th Best Community College in the U.S. in 2021, Muskegon
offers accredited academic programs leading to 54 associate degrees
and 32 certificates. As an Achieving the Dream College, MCC’s
nationally recognized commitment to student success unites its
faculty and staff in their mission to prepare students, build
communities and improve lives.
One of Michigan’s most picturesque community colleges, the Muskegon
main campus building - an award-winning Alden Dow design - spans
Four Mile Creek on a 15-acre sylvan setting. The campus boasts
several new multimillion-dollar facilities - the Health and
Wellness Center, the Science Center and the Art and Music Building
- and includes University Park Golf Course and the Carr-Fles
Planetarium. The Sturrus Technology Center in historic downtown
Muskegon is home to state-of-the-art applied technology offerings,
the Rooks|Sarnicola Entrepreneur Center and the Lakeshore Fab Lab.
MCC offers classes in adjacent Ottawa and Newaygo Counties.
Muskegon Community College provides excellent benefits options.
Full time employee benefit options include:
- Three health plan options (includes a high deductible plan with
a health savings account currently under $40 a pay period for
family premium cost).
- Free dental, vision, life insurance and long term disability
- Retirement plans including state Pension or 14% MCC Retirement
Contribution to TIAA (differs by group).
- Voluntary retirement savings plan options (403b or 457
- Tuition benefits at MCC for you and your eligible
- Generous paid time off plans.
- Paid holidays and holiday closure period in late December.
- Onsite Fitness Center at the Main Campus & discounts to
University Park Golf Course
$17.07-18.47 Depending on Experience
To maintain a safe, secure, clean and orderly/efficient learning
environment in campus buildings and on campus grounds while
assisting any and all teams within the department. This position
must operate independently while practicing appropriate safety
practices and decision making in multiple areas. This individual
will be a part of a team responsible for work including but not
limited to custodial, grounds, maintenance, and skilled
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Minimum of high school diploma or GED.
- Ability to work independently and understand written
- Basic computer skills. Word, Excel, and Outlook experience
- Ability to write and generate reports.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to and work with people of all
ages, races, and social-economic backgrounds
- Ability to work as part of a team while maintaining positive
interpersonal communication and organizational skills essential
along with demonstrated willingness to learn and share new
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to operate and maintain
grounds, maintenance, and custodial equipment.
- Dependability and punctuality.
- Knowledge in proper use of cleaning chemicals, supplies,
techniques and equipment.
- Demonstrated motivational and problem solving capabilities with
a high degree of integrity, ethics and dedication to the mission of
- Prefer state of Michigan license in one of the following
trades: Boiler operator, Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical or
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse
backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of
cooperation and positive reactions to change and conflict
- Ability to function at a high caliber and capacity with
frequently changing job tasks and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to lift 80 lbs. minimum.
- Valid Michigan driver’s license and meets the MCC vehicle
operator standards. Ability to travel to all campus locations.
- Willingness to work overtime if required.
Additional position functions:
- Maintain and ensure clean grounds and parking lots including,
but not limited to, the following:
- Pick up all parking lot and grounds litter.
- Block roads and place traffic cones as needed.
- Maintain traffic cones and blocking equipment.
- Maintain Traffic signs, posts, and bases.
- Adhere to all safety and health regulations, and report all
unsafe conditions to Supervisor.
- Make off-campus pick-ups and deliveries as instructed including
those that may require truck, or fork lift services.
- Assist grounds crew with snow removal, mowing, lawn
maintenance, pruning & trimming trees, leaf cleanup, and
maintenance as assigned.
- Maintain College vans, trucks, and autos for daily use:
washing, waxing, fueling, oil changes, lubrication, and minor
- Maintain vehicle service records. Arrange service work on
vehicles through the Physical Plant Office.
- Perform all duties related to the maintenance of all College
buildings and grounds including, but not limited to, painting,
furniture and equipment repair and assembly, building and grounds
- Maintain emergency power generators. Track oil changes, fuel /
oil levels, monthly run tests, and maintain maintenance records in
the Physical Plant Office.
- Maintain work and material storage areas in a neat and clean
- Must be available for work on overtime basis to assist in snow
removal or any other emergency as needed.
- Maintain friendly and positive disposition while providing
exceptional customer service to all those supported including the
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements
- Assist Grounds and/or external contractor(s) with equipment
repairs as needed.
- Perform typical cleaning functions including, but not limited
to, sweeping (hand and machine), scrubbing (hand and machine),
mopping, floor stripping, waxing, polishing (hand and machining),
buffing (machining), vacuuming, window washing, emptying trash in
outside waste collectors and container, etc., as assigned by
- Operation and maintenance of machines and equipment used to
perform job functions.
- Do set-up, knock-down, clean-up work required by campus
activities and special events as assigned.
- Assemble furniture, equipment, change light bulbs and
fluorescent tubes, do minor repair work as assigned, (wall washing,
cleaning vents, registers grills, etc.).
- Participate in training programs made available by the
- Assist with equipment, office, supply, and furniture moves as
☒ Detailed Work
☒ Student Contact
☒ Deadline oriented
☒ Problem Situations
☒ Multiple Priorities & Demands
☒ Emergency Situations
☒ On-call Availability
☒ Continual Interruptions
☒ Working Alone
☒ Faculty Contact
☒ Working with Others
Muskegon Community College continues to promote staff
diversity, and is an equal opportunity employer. MCC does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity,
transgender status, political persuasion, disability, height,
weight, veteran status, age or any other protected class in any of
its educational programs, activities or employment. Minorities,
women, veterans, and the physically challenged are encouraged to
apply. Anyone with a disability will be reasonably accommodated by
the College. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or
assistance in applying for this position, please contact the Human
Michigan, United States