We are accepting resumes for Custodian positions. Please
indicate on your resume or cover letter which shift you are looking
for. We will reach out to qualified candidates as openings become
Named the 19th Best Community College in the U.S. in 2021, Muskegon
offers accredited academic programs leading to 54 associate degrees
and 32 certificates. As an Achieving the Dream College, MCC’s
nationally recognized commitment to student success unites its
faculty and staff in their mission to prepare students, build
communities and improve lives.
One of Michigan’s most picturesque community colleges, the Muskegon
main campus building - an award-winning Alden Dow design - spans
Four Mile Creek on a 15-acre sylvan setting. The campus boasts
several new multimillion-dollar facilities - the Health and
Wellness Center, the Science Center and the Art and Music Building
- and includes University Park Golf Course and the Carr-Fles
Planetarium. The Sturrus Technology Center in historic downtown
Muskegon is home to state-of-the-art applied technology offerings,
the Rooks|Sarnicola Entrepreneur Center and the Lakeshore Fab Lab.
MCC offers classes in adjacent Ottawa and Newaygo Counties.
Muskegon Community College provides excellent benefits options.
Full time employee benefit options include:
- Three health plan options (includes a high deductible plan with
a health savings account currently under $40 a pay period for
family premium cost).
- Free dental, vision, life insurance and long term disability
- Retirement plans including state Pension or 14% MCC Retirement
Contribution to TIAA (differs by group).
- Voluntary retirement savings plan options (403b or 457
- Tuition benefits at MCC for you and your eligible
- Generous paid time off plans.
- Paid holidays and holiday closure period in late December.
- Onsite Fitness Center at the Main Campus & discounts to
University Park Golf Course
$14.71 to $16.32 Depending on
To maintain a safe, secure, clean and orderly/efficient learning
environment in campus buildings and on campus grounds while
assisting any and all teams within the department. This position
must operate independently while practicing appropriate safety
practices and decision making in multiple areas. This individual
will be a part of a team responsible for work including but not
limited to custodial, grounds, maintenance, and skilled
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- A minimum of high school diploma or GED required.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to operate and maintain
custodial equipment preferred.
- Grounds and maintenance experience preferred.
- Demonstrated history of dependability and punctuality.
- Knowledge in proper use of cleaning chemicals, supplies,
techniques and equipment preferred.
- Ability to work independently, understand and follow written
instructions, and write/generate reports as needed.
- Ability to work as part of a team while maintaining positive
interpersonal communication and organizational skills essential
along with demonstrated willingness to learn and share new
- Basic computer skills. Word, Excel, and Outlook experience
- Demonstrated motivational and problem solving capabilities with
a high degree of integrity, ethics and dedication to the mission of
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse
backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of
cooperation and positive reactions to change and conflict
- Ability to function at a high caliber and capacity with
frequently changing job tasks and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to lift 50 lbs. minimum, and on occasion
lift/move up to 80-100 lbs. (Other physical demands and work
environment information listed below.)
- Valid Michigan driver’s license and meets the MCC vehicle
- Demonstrated use of tact, judgment, and discretion and the
ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Highly motivated and solution oriented with a high degree of
integrity, ethics, and dedication to the mission of the
- Ability and willingness to upgrade skills including technology
or process changes.
- May require different shifts, overtime, and occasional weekend
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements
- Perform typical cleaning functions including, but not limited
to, sweeping (hand and machine), scrubbing (hand and machine),
mopping, floor stripping, waxing, polishing (hand and machine),
buffing (machine), vacuuming, window washing, emptying trash in
outside waste collectors and container, etc. including reaching
- Operation and maintenance of machines and equipment used to
perform job functions.
- Do set-up, knock-down, clean-up work required by campus
activities and special events as assigned.
- Assemble furniture, equipment, change light bulbs and
fluorescent tubes, do minor repair work as assigned.
- Report to Supervisor all items requiring skilled maintenance
repair; submit requests as required.
- Deliver received goods and parcels to various departments.
- Make off-campus pick-ups and deliveries, including U.S. mail,
- Keep assigned area in a neat and orderly condition, also
including area outside of assigned area.
- Report all unsafe or potentially dangerous conditions to
Supervisor, and any injuries immediately.
- Work effectively and efficiently with other Physical Plant
staff and outside contract personnel.
- Perform snow removal work as assigned.
- Participate in all training programs assigned.
- Perform all other duties assigned.
☐ Detailed Work
☐ Student Contact
☐ Deadline oriented
☐ Problem Situations
☐ Multiple Priorities & Demands
☐ Emergency Situations
☐ On-call Availability
☐ Continual Interruptions
☒ Working Alone
☐ Faculty Contact
☒ Working with Others
☒ Standing & Walking
☐ Lifting up to 10 lbs. ☐ Up to 25 lbs. ☒ Up to 50 lbs. ☐ 80 +
☒ Pushing, Pulling, Twisting, Bending
☒ Climb or Balance
☒ Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl
☒ Handle or Feel
☒ Reach with Hands and Arms
☒ Talking or hearing
☒ Working Overhead
☒ Speak in English via Phone or In Person
☒ Close, Distance, Peripheral, and Color Vision along with Depth
☒ Ability to Adjust and Focus
☒ Exposure to wet, humid conditions (non-weather), fumes or
airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat/cold;
and moderate to loud noise levels.
☐ Normal Office environment with little, if, any, discomfort due to
heat, dust, noise and the like. Ability to travel to all campus
Muskegon Community College continues to promote staff
diversity, and is an equal opportunity employer. MCC does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity,
transgender status, political persuasion, disability, height,
weight, veteran status, age or any other protected class in any of
its educational programs, activities or employment. Minorities,
women, veterans, and the physically challenged are encouraged to
apply. Anyone with a disability will be reasonably accommodated by
the College. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or
assistance in applying for this position, please contact the Human
Michigan, United States