ASSISTANT for ALUMNI AFFAIRS
Assistant Director of Alumni Engagement
Institutional Advancement, Division of
Alumni Engagement Office
Staff & Administration
If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position?
If Temporary, enter End Date:
A positive, motivated, driven, strategy-oriented person will serve
as the assistant director of alumni engagement.
The assistant director of alumni engagement will execute alumni
events and programming to engage alumni support of SUNY Cortland
and its mission. The assistant director will be responsible for
coordinating regional events that will foster life-long
relationships between alumni and SUNY Cortland, specifically within
areas of high alumni population. The assistant director will also
be responsible for recent alumni (graduates of the last decade)
programming and coordinate alumni-athletic events and Cortaca
Nation regional viewing parties (rivalry football game).
1. The assistant director of alumni engagement will consistently
demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills; be
detail-oriented and organized; able to build and maintain strong
relationships; be interested in working with a diverse student and
alumni population; and be able to demonstrate a high level of
professionalism in interactions with all constituents.
2. Represent the University and Alumni Association at appropriate
functions, both on and off campus, serving in the best interest of
the institution and association.
3. Implement programs and initiatives to meet the mission of the
Alumni Association and University specifically ensuring that all
programming is inclusive and inviting to individuals with diverse
4. Lead regional programming efforts, with a focus on developing
and implementing events in targeted areas with larger alumni
populations and recruit volunteers to host events. When necessary,
traveling will be required to regional events. Coordinate
pre-established regional programs including but not limited to:
- Doing Business program which includes recruiting site host and
alumni-student networking reception in collaboration with
- Cortaca Nation viewing party program and assist with other
aspect of the annual Cortaca Jug. Recruit volunteers and obtain
various locations throughout the country and global. Coordinate
with volunteers to ensure locations are able to access live-stream
and send Cortaca swag. Aid in all marketing materials inclusive of
website updates, emails and social media. Obtain and organize data
for volunteers and provide data to Advancement Data Management
- Regional reunions, such as California and Florida. Coordinate
the development and implementation of regional reunions inclusive
of establishing venues, creating mailings, website updates and
social media outreach. Collaborate with Development Team to develop
programs in targeted alumni areas at to optimize resources,
engagement and giving.
5. Manage alumni association LinkedIn page, utilizing platform to
enhance alumni pipeline and volunteer recruitment.
6. Responsible for recent alumni affinity group (graduates of the
last decade). Develop programs, independent or in collaboration
with standing events to increase engagement. Collaborate with
assistant director to develop student-to-recent alumni
7. Support and assist with Alumni Reunion. Manage at least one
affinity/milestone reunion groups as directed by alumni reunion
coordinator. Plan alumni event at Reunion for graduates of the last
decade; recruiting and marketing to target population. Coordinate
reunion golf event known as the Red and White Golf Classic.
8. Coordinate alumni-athletic events including team alumni weekends
or away game gatherings. Collaborate with Athletics to host C-Club
Hall of Fame weekend.
9. Manage the Red Dragon Network (online alumni network) website,
including homepage, forward-facing pages and user platforms or
interfaces. Assist with the training of Institutional Advancement
team and lead troubleshooting issues. Additionally, utilize the Red
Dragon Network to manage event registrations and email marketing
for all alumni programming.
10. Contribute to the alumni association’s digital marketing
efforts in order to increase connections amongst alumni population.
Assist in coordinating and sending Red Dragon Tales (bi-weekly
11. Attend all Alumni Board meetings and assist in the management
of at least one board committee, including acting as the staff
liaison. In coordination with Associate Director, prepare and
administer committee budget expenditures and develop the goals and
metrics for use of these resources and annually review the
continuation of efforts.
12. Supervisor at least one student intern, developing their skills
in event management, alumni engagement (ie. marketing,
interpersonal relationships, etc.) and stewardship.
13. Act as a backup for staff coverage at events at the Lynne Parks
’68 SUNY Cortland Alumni House (four times a year, minimum).
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
· Reports to the Associate Director of Alumni Engagement.
· Supervises student-intern in the fall and spring semester.
· Works closely with numerous constituents on campus, students and
· Serves as a staff liaison for Alumni Association Board of
Directors committee(s) and interacts frequently with board
· Works closely with all members of Institutional
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Event experience (i.e. event coordination, management and/or
- Valid driver’s licenses and willingness to travel
- Availability to work nights and weekends
- Marketing experience
- Professional experience in higher education or non-profit
- Alumni engagement experience
- Professional experience managing social media (i.e. LinkedIn,
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
- Experience with customer relations management ( CRM )
- Experience or evidence of ability to build and maintain
relationships that support the mission of the University and Alumni
The State University of New York Cortland is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act
(AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The university actively seeks
applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability,
members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the
diversity of the university.
Job Close Date
Posting Detail Information
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Special Instructions to Applicant
Special Instructions to Applicant
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Are you available to work weekends?
- * Are you available to work in the evening (6 pm to 10 pm)?
- * Do you have a valid drivers license?
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)