Vice President, Institutional Advancement
- Salt Lake Community College
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Commensurate with Experience
- Posted Date
- Mar 7, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Development & Advancement
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The VP for Institutional Advancement is responsible for providing visionary leadership, and mission-aligned direction for the Marketing, Public Relations, Media Communication, Events Planning, Printing Services, and Development/Foundation Board at the College and serves as chief advocate for a diverse representation and equality across the division. The Vice President serves a central role, alongside the President, in serving as an internal and external spokesperson for and champion of Salt Lake Community College’s mission and goals. As a member of the Executive Cabinet, the Vice President works collaboratively with other Vice Presidents to achieve the College’s strategic goals, with an emphasis on strengthening external relationships, resources, and the College’s image. The Vice President represents the President as needed at the local, state, and national level and serves on College, Board of Trustees, Utah System of Higher Education, and other community committees.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
Work in collaboration with the Executive Cabinet to set vision, mission, and strategic goals and to champion those across the College. Lead communication efforts and demonstrate active involvement and high visibility across the College to ensure strong, trusted relationships and clear, effective communication. Keep abreast of national and local trends and innovative practices to ensure high quality, effective and pro-active approaches to fundraising, public relations, workplace communication, crisis communication, marketing and enrollment strategies and college-wide events.
Staff Leadership, Accountability and Development:
Establish and promote a strong, equitable, well-informed, and positive workplace culture across the division. Meet regularly with staff to assess effectiveness of departments, provide support and encouragement, constructively solve work-related issues, discuss employee performance, and provide professional development opportunities. Oversee yearly goal setting, planning and assessment activities for Institutional Advancement departments including the development, research, and publication of results. Use data and planning to markedly increase outcomes and achievement of divisional goals.
Work with appropriate staff to identify and develop funding sources, cultivate, and steward donors, and direct institutional advancement activities, including major gift solicitation, private foundation and corporate grant development, coordination, and monitoring.
Lead the overall internal and external communications strategy to effectively advance the College mission, educate the public about the College’s activities, and garner support. Along with the Assistant Vice President for Institutional Marketing and Communications create and execute a plan for providing timely, effective, consistent, innovative, and relevant information to internal and external communities.
Collaborative and Innovative Relationships:
Build partnerships across the College to gather and share College stories, outcomes, and successes. Work with teams to facilitate collaborative and innovative programs that engage employees, raise profile of the College, and strengthen institutional communication and culture. Work with colleagues to improve enrollment and completion efforts through strategic and comprehensive marketing, public relations, development, and event planning. Build extensive external relationships with donors, community, and business leaders to share SLCC’s vision, mission and increase overall profile, brand experience, and philanthropic support.
Fiscal Health and Accountability:
Develop, allocate, and monitor all Institutional Advancement budgets to effectively compensate staff and maintain high quality, innovative and productive programs. Identify areas where donor or grant revenue could strengthen outcomes and work collaboratively to secure. Work closely with Executive Director of Development and Foundation Board to ensure sound investment and reporting practices.
Work with Executive Director of Development and Finance and Administration colleagues to ensure federal and state compliance and audit requirements are met. Ensure understanding of and compliance with SLCC policies and procedures as well as federal and state laws and regulations.
Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communication, Business, or related field
Seven (7) years full-time administrative experience with a record of progressive responsibility and positional leadership.
Master’s degree in marketing, public administration, or related field
Experience serving in higher education
Experience serving in a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) or Minority Serving Institution (MSI)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in leading and developing comprehensive fundraising campaigns and a track record of success in campaign planning, monitoring and major gift solicitations and stewardship.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in building successful internal communication plans to strengthen organizational transparency, trust, and workplace culture.
- Demonstrated experience in working collaboratively with colleagues from across the College to improve internal and external communication, including crisis communications.
- Demonstrated experience in leading successful public relations efforts to build image and brand experience
- Demonstrated experience in leading creative and innovative events for enhancing workplace culture, employee recognition, cultural and artistic celebration, and donor engagement.
- Demonstrated success in embedding inclusive and equitable practices, programs, and policies within the division and across the College.
- Demonstrated background in data informed decision making and program review/ evaluation systems.
- Demonstrated experience in assessing timelines, outcomes, and innovating for success.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and monitoring budgets and identifying efficiencies.
- Strong organizational, supervisory, and demonstrated skills in supporting and leading a high-performing team.
- Lead, motivate, manage, and evaluate diverse direct reports. Effectively interpret and align the Institutional Advancement division with the vision, mission, and goals of the College. Build strong, productive, and trusted relationships within and between College areas to strengthen student and college outcomes. Effectively communicate across divisions and levels within the institution to share vision and expectations as well as understand diverse perspectives. Build and deliver clear, motivational, and strategic presentations to diverse constituent groups including media. Solve problems effectively through sound decision-making processes and collaborative practice. Lead, motivate, manage, and evaluate a diverse staff. Manage conflict and effectively diffuse tense and/or unproductive situations. Lead and manage crisis communication and situations.
Salt Lake Community College is Utah’s largest open-access college with the most diverse student body in the state. We proudly educate over 40,000 students pursuing degrees in 100+ programs across 8 areas of study, and Utah’s fastest growing industries and four-year baccalaureate programs consistently welcome SLCC graduates. Every SLCC employee has a hand in transforming students’ lives to strengthen its surrounding communities. SLCC employees work at 10 locations across the valley and capital city of Salt Lake with easy access to the beautiful Wasatch Mountains, world-class outdoor recreation, sporting events, museums, history, and arts and entertainment.
Salt Lake Community College seeks and values contributions from each community member and welcomes new and diverse perspectives. A respectful work environment is its top priority; academic excellence and lasting transformation come about when diverse voices can speak and collaborate freely. As an emerging HSI, SLCC leads the state with the highest enrollment of students from the Latinx/a/o community. SLCC is committed to serving diverse students and being a model for inclusive and transformative education.
Additional Application Instructions
We welcome applications at https://jobs.slcc.edu/postings/55076. The Vice President of Institutional Advancement position will remain open until filled, but applications received by 5:00 p.m. MST on March 24, 2023 will receive priority consideration. More information about Salt Lake Community College benefits: https://i.slcc.edu/culture/benefits/index.aspx
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert