Staff Accountant - Online/Remote
The Staff Accountant is responsible for providing management with
financial information by researching and analyzing accounts. This
includes the timely completion of working papers and reports
associated with the Month-End/Quarter-End/Year-End close process
for all business units.
- Maintains and balances accounts by inputting data, scheduling
required jobs and verifying outputs.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare general
ledger entries including, but not limited to accounts receivable,
revenue, and deferred revenue
- Maintains records and files and complete assigned work
- Completes reconciliations of cash and operating
- Analyzes open balances and allowance for doubtful
- Ensures expenses are accounted for in the proper period,
assigns applicable account numbers and reconciles accounts.
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and
- Identifies and records fixed asset additions, analyzes assets
for disposals and impairments, and produces reports as
- Provides management with monthly and quarterly analytics and
- Identifies opportunities for process improvement and presents
recommendations for implementation.
- Participates in audits to include Sarbanes-Oxley, quarterly
reviews and annual audits conducted by internal and external
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational
opportunities, reading professional publications, and participating
in professional organizations.
- Protects organization's value by keeping information
- Interacts with other teams to achieve daily goals.
- Stays abreast of all policies & procedures as well as
industry changes, best practices, and technology.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Knowledge and understanding of the application of the rules of
GAAP and SOX requirements.
- Strong error detection, problem solving, decision making and
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
- Strong organization, time management and multi-tasking
- Demonstrated customer service oriented attitude and the ability
to collaborate with others.
- High level attention to detail, excellent organizational skills
and ability to prioritize demands and meet deadlines.
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or a related field is
- Corporate accounting / General ledger experience is
- Public company experience is preferred.
- Experience with Great Plains and Management Reporter or similar
accounting software is preferred.
- Proficient with windows based applications to include Microsoft
Office with intermediate to expert Excel skills.
Online, on campus and in the workplace, we provide higher education
and training to our country's heroes - military service members,
veterans, nurses, government employees, and motivated professionals
that want to make a difference. American Public Education, Inc.
educates service-minded students, ranging from the military, public
service, federal agencies, and nursing communities, through
American Public University System (APUS), Hondros College of
Nursing (HCON), Rasmussen University and Graduate School USA
It is the policy of American Public Education, Inc. (APEI) to
afford equal opportunity to all qualified persons. We treat all
qualified individuals equally as to their recruitment, hiring,
assignments, advancements, compensation, and all other terms and
conditions of employment. American Public Education, Inc. does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, or physical, mental, or
sensory disability, or any other characteristic protected by
Colorado, California, Washington and NYC Pay Transparency
If you are a resident of Colorado, California, Washington or New
York City and this role is available remotely, you may be eligible
to receive additional information about the compensation and
benefits for this role, which we will provide upon request. Please
send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, visit https://recruiting.ultipro.com/AME1070/JobBoard/b66d4325-6be5-4691-ab44-c96532dee1ff/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=e7137238-75dc-4a71-88f1-8aed21794a49