- American Public University System
- West Virginia, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 7, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Business & Management, Accounting & Finance
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Requisition Number: PAYRO004345
Location: United States
American Public Education, Inc.
The Payroll Analyst is responsible for the reconciliation and reporting of all payroll transactions, various monthly close processes and analysis, and quality assurance of current payroll processes. The position requires the ability to research state and federal regulations and statues, in order to perform essential job functions and make recommendations to management. The ability to maintain confidentiality especially when dealing with employee records is a requirement for this position. The payroll analyst must demonstrate the aptitude to communicate with all employee levels is essential.
- Provide management with updates on federal or state regulatory statue changes that impact department activities and recommend policy and procedures updates as needed.
- Responsible for ensuring the completion of bi-weekly and off-cycle reconciliations of payroll transactions.
- Ensure bi-weekly payroll processes are completed in between pay cycles.
- Initiate the Payroll month end close processes to include coordinating with General Finance, generating required reports, analysis and review.
- Complete various month-end duties to include, but not limited to, bank reconciliation, tax reconciliation, and payroll general ledger reconciliation.
- Create ad hoc reports for various payroll analyses.
- Utilize proactive, clear and professional communication to provide changes and relevant information to Director, Payroll & senior management.
- Conduct quality assurance testing of payroll processes and transactions and report monthly reports of statistics to Director, Payroll.
- Complete any payroll system testing to include, but not limited to, creation of test plans, coordination of testing and resources, and providing appropriate documentation, support and necessary approvals to Director, Payroll.
- Open, track, and formulate solutions for escalated payroll and tax cases with third-party payroll servicer.
- Review annual narratives by providing critical analysis and feedback regarding changes and updates to processes
- Create, maintain, and review check-lists for various processes with the intent to uphold streamlined and compliant processing.
- Collaborate with the Payroll team to recommend, develop, and implement process improvements.
- Collaborate with Human Resources and other university departments on workflow and projects.
- Provide documentation to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley and Financial audits for controls and narratives related to payroll.
- Interact with other teams to achieve daily goals.
- Remain knowledgeable of all policies & procedures as well as industry changes, best practices, and technology through the practice of continuing education and research.
- Able to participate and lead special projects as assigned.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office products to include Excel, Access and Word.
- Demonstrates positive work ethic and attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with many types of people and situations.
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment.
- Maintains professional knowledge on the latest best practices, state laws, state regulations, federal laws, federal regulations, and other developments in the employee's area of competence.
- Demonstrated ability to perform research as necessary.
- Understanding of payroll processes and payroll taxes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, understanding finance and technology terminology.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgement.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance from an accredited institution is preferred.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in payroll is required.
- Experience in Ultimate Software is preferred.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Overtime and weekend hours, as needed.
To apply, visit https://recruiting.ultipro.com/AME1070/JobBoard/b66d4325-6be5-4691-ab44-c96532dee1ff/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=6fc6dae9-7cc5-4787-9d3e-9ba5041f12f6 jeid-c9abc6557014a24cba8a4ab4c809f9af
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert