Occupational Safety Specialist
- Dartmouth College
- New Hampshire, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 6, 2023
Open Until Filled
Occupational Safety Specialist
Department this Position Reports to
Environmental Health & Safety
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Location of Position
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
Under the guidance of the Associate Director, EHS Compliance and Fire Safety, this position is responsible to plan, develop, and manage Occupational Safety Health and Administration ( OSHA ) occupational and construction compliance programs. Evaluate and analyze work environments and design programs and procedures to help prevent harm to workers. This position will promote a positive, and proactive occupational safety culture.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Bachelors plus 2-3 years' experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in the natural or physical sciences or occupational safety related field, or a combination of education and experience.
- Two to five years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- OSHA general safety 10-hour training and/or OSHA construction 30-hour training, or the ability to obtain training within one year of appointment.
- Wide and comprehensive knowledge of federal and state occupational regulations, professional standards, and best practices in EHS .
- Must be able to wear and use appropriate protective equipment as necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver safety training.
- Maintain a valid US or Canadian driver’s license and the ability to qualify as an Approved Driver under Dartmouth College Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Policy.
- Professional certification in an EHS discipline.
- Knowledge of hazardous materials as they affect construction and life and fire safety.
- Strong risk assessment and risk communication skills.
- Well organized and able to follow direction with minimal supervision.
Department Contact Phone Number
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
Director, Environmental Health & Safety, Annette Chism
Department Contact's Phone Number
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Dartmouth vehicle or off road vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this job?
Special Instructions to Applicants
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending employment.
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details, please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
Occupational Safety Compliance
- Identify, design, and administer compliance programs to meet OSHA, NFPA, and NH regulatory agency requirements.
- Coordinate with stakeholders to provide guidance on OSHA occupational and construction program policies, training, and inspections.
- Analyze data and identify trends and areas for improvement.
- Identify and offer recommendations regarding microbial growth in Dartmouth buildings.
- In coordination with Residential Operations identify and manage hazardous building materials.
- Assist Facilities Operations and Maintenance in the creation and review of Job Hazard Analysis.
Safety Training and Committees
- Identify appropriate and adequate training for OSHA compliance and health and safety programs.
- Ensure training is provided and recorded as necessary. Oversee program applicability and effectiveness.
- Participate in various internal safety committees and task forces.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We are actively striving to make Campus Services a desired place to work in the Upper Valley, a place where people feel welcomed, where they can be their authentic selves, be heard, and feel accepted. We want this culture to be felt by those who receive our services. The way we treat one another should be the same way we treat our customers.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
- Participates in division wide DEI initiatives and training, including promotion of the 7 Principles (Empathy, Fair, Dependable, Inclusive, Considerate, Vulnerability and Respect)
- Willingness to foster a growth mindset in the areas of increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion across the division
- Collaborates, when appropriate, on other DEI -related initiatives within the division and College
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral (Please specify full name below)
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered, 'Internal Employee Referral' or 'Other' to the
above question, please specify here:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Additional Document #1
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert