Job Vacancy Announcement
Academic Tutor, Accounting
Library and Learning Resources
Full Time or Part Time
Hiring Salary Range
$15.02 - $16.52
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Regular or Temporary
Job Description Summary
Works in conjunction with faculty tutors to provide individualized
instructional services to students enrolled at Prince George’s
Community College. The services provided include individual
tutoring, use of computer software, and other forms of
individualized small group instruction.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Under 18 with work permit, high school diploma or equivalent.
12 to 18 months experience or required course work/certification as
- Completion of the courses tutored with a grade of an A or B, or
professional experience equivalent to a grade of an A or B in the
- Must be able to communicate and explain complex topics
effectively in spoken and written standard
- Must be able to work flexible hours
- Must be prompt and follow the guidelines set forth in the
Tutoring Center handbook.
- Must be able to perform detailed work independently, as well as
in a team environment.
- Must have outstanding customer service skills and be able to
deal with a variety of personalities.
- Must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office and other
software associated with the courses tutored.
- Must be able to work in both a one-on-one and a small group
Preference will be given to candidates who can cover the following
Accounting 1000 – Fundamentals of Accounting
Accounting 1001 – Principles of Accounting I
Accounting 1002 – Principles of Accounting II
Accounting 2001 – Intermediate Accounting I
Accounting 2002 – - Intermediate Accounting II
Accounting 2210 – Federal Income Tax for Individuals
CRITERIA : The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria
used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the
applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process.
Please ensure that your application and attached documents
address the criteria listed below:
- Schedules and maintains specific hours devoted to Tutoring
Center activities, as approved by the Tutoring Center
- Maintains a high level of proficiency in the subjects tutored
by participating in yearly professional development.
- Attends all Tutoring Center meetings at the beginning of each
- Tutors individual students as scheduled by the Tutoring Center
- Conducts small group sessions as scheduled by the Tutoring
- Maintains prescribed written records including but not limited
to no-show forms, unscheduled tutoring center forms, and student
- Develops familiarity with computers, software, and other
individualized instructional materials available in the Tutoring
- Fills out and signs timesheets as directed by the Timekeeper
for the Tutoring Center.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Must have the use of sensory
skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other
employees and the public through the use of the telephone and
personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read,
talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical
capability to effectively use and operate various items of office
related equipment, such as, but not limited to a, personal
computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. No significant
climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing,
walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive
Is Background Check Required?
- Must be able to commit to the assigned weekly schedule not to
exceed 18 hours per week. Work schedule subject to change based on
department needs. Must be able to work a flexible work schedule
including some evening and weekend hours.
- Must be able to effectively communicate in spoken and written
Standard English with students, faculty, and staff.
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and proof that you
are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work. Identity
and proof that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized
- Please make sure to include transcripts with your application
that show the grades you received in the courses mentioned
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
; you will receive an email acknowledging
receipt of your application, upon which time no further
communication occurs unless selected for an interview or the
position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following best describes your level of completed
education? (Education details must be included in your
- Master's Degree or above from an accredited
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college/university
- One to two years of college credit (30 credit hours is
equivalent to one year)
- Less than 30 credits from an accredited college/university
- High School Diploma or GED
- None of the above
- * Do you meet the requirements listed under the 'education and
- * Please be advised that as required by the 1986 Immigration
Act, candidates must be prepared to present acceptable
documentation showing identity and that you are a U.S. Citizen or
an alien who is authorized to work. It is the college's policy that
PGCC does not provide sponsorship for prospective employees. Will
you require sponsorship to work in the United States?
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Curriculum Vitae
- Certifications - See Minimum Qualifications for type