Assistant Professor - Sculpture
- Clemson University
- South Carolina, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 6, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Clemson University: College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities: Art
Assistant Professor - Sculpture
Location: Clemson, SC
Assistant Professor, Tenure Track in Sculpture, Department of Art at Clemson University
The Department of Art at Clemson University is pleased to invite applications for a full-time tenure-track position in Sculpture at the rank of Assistant Professor to teach across undergraduate and graduate studio art courses to begin service August 15, 2023.
We seek a colleague who will possess robust knowledge of technique, theory, and history of art practice to contribute to our nationally accredited undergraduate and graduate coursework in Sculpture, in addition to building a strong research agenda and active exhibition record. Faculty participate in team teaching activities, with other coursework possible according to the candidate's qualifications. The average department load is 3/3, with some variation based on research activity. Further responsibilities include comprehensive knowledge of current studio art health and safety practices, the management and oversight of all aspects of the sculpture studio, advising undergraduate and graduate students, and service to the department, college, university, and profession. Our sculpture facilities offer a wealth of fabrication equipment and machinery that will assist the successful candidate in implementing their vision for the sculpture area and its course offerings.
- A vision towards integrating contemporary sculpture practices in both traditional analogue and expanded media within our dynamic team-taught programs, and skills to enhance and maintain the Sculpture studio.
- Promise for achieving a record of creative research that lies at the forefront of sculpture congruent with a Carnegie classified Research-1 Highest Level university
- An understanding of the history of sculpture and public art along with contemporary / interdisciplinary sculpture practices and theory.
- Ability to teach graduate and undergraduate students in a cross-media studio arts program
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment and to participate in departmental and institutional committee service and scheduled departmental and student activities.
- Ability to develop and sustain a positive working relationship with faculty, staff, administrators, students, and the local community.
Candidates should submit the following via Interfolio: http://apply.interfolio.com/115964
- Cover letter
- Artist Statement
- Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Sample syllabi in Sculpture
- Portfolio of 20 samples of personal work and 20 samples of student work.
- Three professional references who may be contacted for letters of recommendation. Letters will be required of finalists.
- Academic transcript (unofficial is acceptable, official will be required for hire)
Review of applications will begin December 1, 2022 and will continue until position is filled.
For questions about the position or application process, please contact: Kathleen Thum, Associate Professor and Chair of the Search Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Department of Art at Clemson University, in the College of Architecture, Arts and Humanities, offers the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), the Bachelor of Arts in Art (BA), and the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) professional degree. The curriculum is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. The Department of Art has over 100 undergraduates and up to 18 graduate students enrolled in our visual arts programs. The size allows the faculty to frequently conduct team critiques, which maximizes the exchange of ideas and methods that arise within individual studio disciplines - Digital Art & Design Media, Studio Art & Art History concentrations in the BA Art program, and Painting, Sculpture, Drawing, Ceramics, Printmaking, and Photography concentrations in the BFA programs. Students in the Department of Art work and learn in well-equipped studio facilities, and we have an ideal average student-to-teacher ratio of 1-to-12 or better.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Clemson University is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against any person or group on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, pregnancy, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information. Clemson University is building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and encourages applications from minorities and women.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert