Position Summary: Salem Academy and College invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Spanish for the Health Professions. This continuing-track position is scheduled to begin in August 2023. We are seeking a faculty member with teaching expertise in medical Spanish, business Spanish, and translation and interpretation to build our new concentration in Spanish for the Health Professions. Furthermore, we seek a scholar and teacher of Latin American cultural studies or the US Latinx population. All members of the Modern Language department also contribute to introductory and intermediate language classes. We seek applicants who have a demonstrated commitment to educating a diverse student body and facilitating efforts in diversity, equity, and inclusion. Women and members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Salem Academy and College:
Salem Academy and College is the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country. Since 1772, the institution has engaged in transformational change to innovate women’s education. Founded with the mission of making education accessible to all, Salem has a rich 250-year-old history and a long-standing track record of educating students who are prepared to make a bold impact locally, nationally and globally through liberal arts education. Our graduates are committed to making the world a better, healthier and more equitable place. Salem College is the nation’s only liberal arts college exclusively dedicated to developing the next generation of health leaders.
Salem College has more than 40 full-time faculty and over 150 staff members who support approximately 500 students including full-time undergraduates, part-time students and graduate programs. Salem recently received the largest philanthropic gift in its history with a $5M anonymous donation focused on enabling our health leadership transformation as well as a $3.6M estate gift to support the College. Salem completed its 250th-anniversary campaign this year exceeding a $12.5M goal.
U.S. News & World Report 2022-2023 Rankings, ranked Salem College No. 1 among all National Liberal Arts Colleges in America as a Top Performer on Social Mobility. Our institution has rapidly moved up the national ranking for Social Mobility, from No. 10 in 2020 and No. 4 in 2021 to No. 1 in 2022. Salem College is also ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the No. 2 National Liberal Arts College in North Carolina. Salem has been ranked among the top three National Liberal Arts Colleges in North Carolina for the past seven years. In addition, Salem College was ranked 6th in the nation for college affordability last year.
Salem College is located in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, a vibrant college town known as the “City of Arts and Innovation". Winston-Salem is a lively academic community, home to six institutions of higher education and more than 26,000 students. Winston Salem has a collaborative and engaged academic community with strong private and public schools, excellent healthcare systems, and affordable housing. The Winston-Salem area also offers a rich variety of cultural opportunities and has a vibrant art and restaurant scene. Within a few hours of campus are mountains for skiing, camping, or hiking; rivers for whitewater rafting; and the beautiful ports and beaches of North and South Carolina.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Standard teaching load of seven courses per year. One course release in the first year of employment. Courses to teach include:
○All levels of Spanish language acquisition
○ Medical Spanish, including supervising students’ service as volunteer interpreters in free clinics
○ Business Spanish
○ Courses on Latin American or Latinx Studies
○ As the schedule permits, courses to support the Health Humanities Program
● Support students’ independent studies and advise/mentor students
● Engage students in scholarly research
● Work on other teaching and learning projects as needs and interests arise
● Participate in service to the Spanish Program and the College, including committee membership
● PhD in Spanish, Spanish Translation, Applied Linguistics, or closely related discipline
● Experience teaching medical Spanish
● Experience teaching Latin American and Latinx cultural studies
● Experience mentoring undergraduate and/or graduate students
● Active record and program of scholarship
● Demonstrated commitment to teaching excellence and innovation at the undergraduate level, including active learning and engagement of students with diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds
● Native or near native Spanish and English communication skills – in the classroom, with colleagues, in written work, and in listening
● Demonstrated ability to engage in innovative projects involving students
● At least three years of undergraduate teaching experience as the instructor of record
● Experience teaching Spanish for the professions at an undergraduate level
● Experience organizing and supervising students’ internships.
● Experience with course and curriculum development.
While performing the responsibilities of this position, the employee is required to travel moderate distances around campus to meet and communicate with employees, students, and other campus constituents in the performance of the essential duties and responsibilities; to work at a computer for extended periods of time; receive detailed information through auditory and oral communication; to express and exchange ideas by means of spoken word; and to work on campus and in an office setting.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position along with a resume or curriculum vitae; a diversity, equity, and inclusion statement; a statement of teaching philosophy; and contact information for three professional references to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Assistant Professor of Spanish Search Committee.” The review of applications will begin immediately and will be ongoing until the position is filled. If you have questions regarding this position, you may email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.