Instructional Design Technologist
About the Opportunity
Northeastern University's Experiential Digital Global Education
Division (EDGE) is seeking a part-time Instructional Design
Technologist to support the Digital and Enterprise Learning team in
the implementation of maintenance of high quality digital learning
products. The EDGE Division drives Northeastern's growth goals and
digital strategy broadly by serving two functions: 1. Providing
digital learning design and development services to Northeastern's
schools and colleges 2. Working with colleges & corporate
partners connecting learning to employees and professionals.
Ideal candidates for this position have strong technical and
learning design skills, a passion for solving problems and finding
creative solutions, and the ability to stay organized and focused
on priorities while thriving in an agile environment.
The part-time Instructional Design Technologist will work
collaboratively with our team to prep courses for each term and
support live courses. Additionally, this position will monitor a
ticketing system and repair any issues across our programs as
This position is remote and is approximate work hours will be 10-20
hours per week.
Course prep includes a variety of tasks such as:
- Setting up all tech prior to launch
- Copying content into live shell
- Collaborating on term prep checklist with cross-functional
- Informing program team of prep completion; and
- Supporting any other tasks as they come up.
Support of live courses includes:
- Correcting any issues brought up in the course within 12-24
- Problem solving for long term tech/design issues
- Working with faculty as they request to implement changes to
their course in the LMS; and
- Handling any other design or technical requests that come via
our ticketing system.
Additionally, at the end of course runs the Instructional Design
Technologist will support the implementation of revisions to
courses and support the redevelopment of major portions of the
course based on student feedback, if necessary.
- Master's degree in instructional design, distance learning,
adult education, educational technology or a related field and/or a
body of work that demonstrates similar competencies.
- Demonstrated experience designing and/or teaching online
- Experience designing learning offerings in response to an
identified business or learning problem.
- Ability to design learning content while keeping in mind the
- Ability to proactively manage course support and development
issues as well as project schedule.
- Demonstrated experience designing rigorous and technical
courses at scale.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, including the
ability to collaborate across networks and work effectively in
- Demonstrated ability to use checklists and stay on top of
essential tasks in course prep
- Expertise with Canvas LMS and EdTech Tools (Panopto, H5P,
Google Suite, Smartsheet, Pluralsight, Linkedin Learning,
- Demonstrated problem solving skills; ability to proactively
manage course support and development issues as well as project
- Ability to be flexible and creative when faced with competing
- Ability to design learning products for the unique needs of
each identified audience.
- Demonstrated ability to apply instructional design principles,
learning theory, and educational technologies in the design and
development of online learning experiences.
- Positive and professional attitude; interest in learning new
- Ability to work autonomously as well as part of a
- Must be committed to creating a professional collaborative work
environment by demonstrating a respect for colleagues and their
expertise; cultivating open communication & feedback; and
inspiring a unified commitment to elevating the standard of quality
of the deliverables.
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work
experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit
eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid
time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as
well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/
for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Boston-MA-Main-Campus/Instructional-Design-Technologist_R113349