Contracts and Grants Specialist
University Job Family
Legal, Audit & Compliance
For more information on ORP, visit:
Scope of Search
Senior Grants Research Administrator
Is this employee on a H1B Visa?
Humanities & Sciences
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity,
service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A
premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as
one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to
work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported
and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave
package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an
opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
(Senior) Grants Research Administrator – The College of Humanities
and Sciences Sponsored Programs Office ( CHS - SPO ) is seeking
applicants for a Senior Grants Research Administrator or Grants
Research Administrator. This position reports to the Director of
Sponsored Programs for Humanities and Sciences and is responsible
for pre-award and post-award management of sponsored programs. This
position’s duties include proposal development and submission (e.g.
budget development, review/interpretation of funding announcements,
coordinating proposal submissions, and etc.), grants management
activities (e.g. award verification, NCEs, prior approvals,
re-budgeting, index reconciliation, coordinating closeout
paperwork, and etc.), and maintaining records for CHS - SPO
Minimum Hiring Standards
· The ability to work in a diverse work environment.
· Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
staff member at VCU .
· Knowledge and experience in working with grant and contract
· Ability to apply and interpret university and federal policies,
procedures, laws, and regulations concerning sponsored
· Open and collaborative style that encourages teamwork and
· Ability to work well under deadline pressures, exhibiting sound
judgment without sacrificing accuracy or customer service.
· Ability to assist with preparing budgets, reconciliations,
financial reports, and project closeouts as required.
· Knowledge of sponsor proposal submission systems
· Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple priorities
· Demonstrated ability to solve problems independently using
· Exceptional communication, organization skills, customer service,
and interpersonal skills.
· Must have the ability to effectively and clearly answer inquiries
of faculty, staff, and sponsors
· Knowledge of state and federal regulations related to research
administration, including Uniform Guidance (2CFR200), and Cost
· Ability to read, interpret, and apply university and federal
policies, procedures, laws, and regulations concerning the projects
· Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate training and/or
Preferred Hiring Standards
· Significant experience in grant proposal development, financial
operations, with experience in a state/university setting.
· Experience providing direct pre and post-award administrative
support to investigators
· Excellent computer skills in the use of MS Office with emphasis
on Excel spreadsheets and MS Word processing.
· Three or more years of experience in research administration in
the areas of proposal development, financial management, effort
reporting, and project closeout preferred
· Ability to successfully work with internal systems (e.g., RAMS -
SPOT, Banner, RealSource, ChromeRiver, etc.) preferred.
· Certifications such as Certified Research Administrator ( CRA ),
Certified Financial Research Administrator ( CFRA ), Certified
Pre-Award Administrator ( CPRA ), or relevant certification in
Required Licenses/ Certifications
Anticipated Hiring Range
$50,000 to $65,000
Application Process/Additional Information
In addition to a complete application, a resume, cover letter, and
a list of three professional references and their contact
information are encouraged.
Monroe Park Campus
Normal Work Days/Hours
Monday-Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM
Job Open Date
Posting will close on or before
Open Until Filled
Is this a restricted position?
Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents
- * Please describe your experience in grant management and
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your abilities to work collaboratively with a
team as well as independently.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document