Senior Immigration Advisor
- Dartmouth College
- New Hampshire, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 2, 2023
Open Until Filled
Senior Immigration Advisor
Department this Position Reports to
Office of Visa & Immigration Services
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
The anticipated start date for this position is between July 1 and August 1, 2023.
The schedule is generally 8am – 5pm, with the expectation of a minimum two days in the office (including Thursdays) and three days remote. Office space is available in case someone wanted to be in the office every day.
Location of Position
Bank of America Building, South Main Street
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
Reporting to the Director, the Senior Immigration Advisor will assist international students and scholars with immigration-related issues, manage a caseload of international students and scholars including SEVIS reporting, help ensure compliance with federal regulations, create educational programs, and conduct analysis on impact of changes in immigration laws.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Bachelors or equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Must be U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident to serve as DSO / ARO as required by federal law
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Minimum of 3-4 years of experience in higher education advising F-1 students and J-1 Exchange
• Demonstrated understanding of and experience with U.S. immigration regulations and policy, and specifically F-1 and J-1 regulations and policy
• Demonstrated experience with SEVIS, Banner, Sunapsis and other database management systems and reporting tools
• Highly detail-oriented with strong organizational and administrative skills
• Ability to manage large and complex caseload
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
• Excellent oral, written and cross-cultural communication skills and sensitivity
• Commitment to diversity
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and deadlines
• Ability to handle highly confidential information
- Master’s degree preferred
- Experience working with Sunapsis or similar case management system preferred
- Experience studying or working in a foreign country preferred.
Department Contact Phone Number
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
Department Contact's Phone Number
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Dartmouth vehicle or off road vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this job?
Preferred, but not required
Special Instructions to Applicants
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending employment.
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details, please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
- Advising (65%)
· Serves as Department of Homeland Security Designated School Official ( DSO ) and Department of State Alternate Responsible Officer ( ARO ) responsible for immigration advising.
· Manages complex and high-volume caseload of international students and scholars, including F-1 and J-1 nonimmigrants, with responsibility for individual and group advising on maintenance of status, program duration, changes of status, international travel, employment including post-graduate employment, accompanying dependent family members, and other immigration-related compliance areas.
· Performs administrative tasks necessary to support the advising function, including correspondence, reporting, auditing and regular records maintenance in Banner, the Data Warehouse, Sunapsis and SEVIS .
· Works with OVIS staff to update and create online advising resources for international populations as well as for departments and schools across the institution.
· Serves as liaison to assigned schools and departments to provide guidance and support for immigration sponsorship requests in the context of both institutional and government policies.
· Maintains expertise in F-1, J-1 and other immigration regulations, including staying apprised of regulatory and policy changes.
· Leads workshops and training sessions on immigration-related topics for international students, scholars, faculty, department administrators and other campus partners.
Percentage Of Time
2. Operations Support (20%)
· Participates in and provides critical support for international student and scholar registration, check-in, orientation, employment and other requests, particularly during peak times.
· Prepares and processes immigration documents for international students and scholars, including Form I-20 and Form DS-2019 creation and SEVIS record updates.
· Stays abreast of new technology and software capabilities for intake, case management, audits and reporting and assist with testing of database system upgrades and version releases.
· Works with OVIS leadership and staff to create and implement programming on immigration-related topics.
Percentage Of Time
3.Data Analysis and SEVIS Compliance (15%)
· Regularly monitors and analyzes student and scholar data in Banner, Data Warehouse, HRMS, Sunapsis and SEVIS to ensure accuracy and integrity of data and audit review in compliance with SEVIS and other reporting requirements.
Works closely with Director, Associate Director and other staff members to analyze changes in immigration law and policy and the impact on international students and scholars to ensure compliance.
Percentage Of Time
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
Performs other duties as assigned
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral (Please specify full name below)
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered, 'Internal Employee Referral' or 'Other' to the
above question, please specify here:
(Open Ended Question)
- * Note: This position has a determined start date and/or
particular schedule, listed at the top of the job posting in the
schedule field. Can you confirm that you have read the schedule and
that you can adhere to the schedule parameters?
- Yes, I can adhere to all the schedule parameters
- I can adhere to some of the schedule parameters
- I will not be able to adhere to any of the schedule parameters
- Cover Letter
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert