Facilities Maintenance Technician
- Sierra College
- Rocklin, California
- $26.52 Hourly
- Posted Date
- Mar 1, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Under general supervision, provides a variety of skilled construction, alteration, maintenance, and repair of facilities and buildings. This position works primarily in one of several areas of specialization, but is fully qualified and capable of performing work and assisting others in a different specialty; and performs a variety of tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
Need Help With Your Online Account?
- Use the online Help Guide or contact the NEOED Applicants Support Line at 855-524-5627 if you need assistance with your online applicant account.
- Applicant Support is available between 6 a.m. and 5 p.m. Pacific Time, Monday through Friday.
Examples Of Functions and Tasks
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES - The following duties are typical for this job classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Installs, maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs electrical distribution systems and fixtures; installs, adjusts, repairs, or replaces electric lights, motors, heaters, generators, transformers, switchboards, and other electrical apparatus; installs transmission lines for electrical equipment.
- Performs a variety of painting and varnishing duties; prepares and finishes various surfaces; paints walls, doors, rooms, buildings, and parking lots using spray equipment or brushes; finishes surfaces to comply with applicable building codes or District standards.
- Performs plumbing duties; inspects, maintains, and repairs complete plumbing systems, including other fluid flows such as natural gas; fits, installs, and repairs water lines, heaters, seals, and valves.
- Performs carpentry duties; constructs, fabricates, installs, repairs, or replaces doors, walls, signs, desks, counters, shelves, and storage units; participates in the construction of buildings and structures.
- Performs locksmith duties; installs, repairs, and replaces locks and latches; installs electronic door mechanisms.
- Maintains swimming pools and water reservoir/treatment pools to comply with applicable health and safety standards; checks water level and tests temperature, chemical levels, and control valves.
- Inspects, tests, and repairs smoke and heat sensors, fire alarms, pulls, and panels; conducts maintenance on fire sprinkler flow switches; resets fire alarm panels and tests wiring connections.
- Maintains current knowledge of elevator emergency safety and evacuation procedures.
- Inspects roofs for leaks and potential leaks; repairs leaks and performs preventative maintenance.
- Performs a variety of masonry duties including construction and repair of masonry walls, benches, edgings and faces.
- Maintains required records and makes reports; prepares reports on work completed and materials used.
- Operates maintenance equipment, including forklifts and loaders; performs minor maintenance work on equipment as necessary.
- May train and provide work direction to assigned student workers and temporary help as assigned.
- Performs related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS - The following generally describes the knowledge and ability required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time in order to successfully perform the assigned duties.
- Basic to journeyman level electrical, plumbing, carpentry, locksmith, and commercial painting work methods, practices, techniques, and procedures.
- Federal, state and local fire and building codes and ordinances.
- Fire prevention system operation, maintenance and repair techniques.
- Layout and fabrication techniques.
- General maintenance power and hand tools and materials and their safe operation and uses.
- Building repair methods and techniques.
- Swimming pool maintenance techniques, including pool chemistry.
- Record keeping techniques.
- General safety precautions and procedures, including safe lifting techniques and safe handling, storage and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Perform basic to journeyman level electrical, plumbing, carpentry, locksmith, and commercial painting work skillfully and in a timely manner.
- Promptly respond to emergencies, including fire alarms and power outages.
- Maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, managers, external contacts, and the general public.
- Coordinate with staff and others to minimize delays or interruptions to administrative or instructional activities.
- Operate trucks, forklifts, boom trucks, chain hoists, electric high-lift equipment, and maintenance equipment, including hand and power tools.
- Read and interpret engineering drawings, sketches, blueprints, schematics, and building and fire codes.
- Operate, maintain, and repair fire prevention systems.
- Lay out and fabricate specialized tools and other items.
- Keep accurate records.
- Estimate scope of written and/or oral orders and secure necessary tools, equipment, and materials to complete assignments expeditiously.
- Maintain swimming pools, including pool water chemistry.
- Work independently or collaboratively.
- Follow oral and written directions.
- Read and write sufficiently to perform the duties of the classification.
- Observe general safety precautions and procedures, including those for safe lifting and safe handling, storage and disposal of hazardous materials.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintains effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of works.
Education and Experience Guidelines: Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education/Training: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
Experience: Three years of facilities maintenance experience from basic to journey level which typically includes electrical, plumbing, carpentry, locksmith, and painting tasks.
License or Certificate:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a Forklift Certificate.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a Hazardous Materials Awareness Training Card.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an Asbestos Awareness Training Certificate.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Program Certificate.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT - The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Environment: Work is performed in both indoor and outdoor environments; travel from site to site; exposure to noise, dust, electrical energy, grease, smoke, fumes, noxious odors and gases; work and/or walk on various types of surfaces including slippery or uneven surfaces. Positions may be required to work evenings, nights, and weekends.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to perform moderately strenuous manual labor; to stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull moderate to heavy amounts of weight; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate specialized hand and power tools and equipment; operate assigned equipment; to stand and walk for extended periods of time; and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Sierra College is a Community College located near Sacramento, California where a heavy emphasis is placed on academic excellence and student success.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert