Vice President for Advancement
- Mount St. Mary's University
- Emmitsburg md
- Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Posted Date
- Mar 1, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Development & Advancement
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Mount St. Mary's University (the Mount) is a dynamic, Catholic, Liberal Arts University in Emmitsburg, Maryland with over 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students. As a Catholic university, our mission is to graduate ethical leaders who are inspired by a passion for learning and lead lives of significance in service to God and others. The Mount is growing and charting a path to even greater heights of success. Enrollment has grown 12% and we have raised over $81M of external funding since 2016, which has enabled substantial investments in residential and learning facilities. We have also grown our NCAA Division 1 athletic teams from 16 to 24. Our Catholic Seminary is the largest in the country, and we attract three to four-hundred thousand visitors a year to our National Shrine Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes. The Mount is on the move with plans for transformative change to include developing a new graduate School of Health Professions (opening in 2024), expanding our STEM facilities and programs, and investing in our athletic facilities. We are in the second year of a $50M, five-year capital campaign to fund these initiatives and have raised $24M. The growth and success we’ve experienced and continue to pursue is the result of developing innovative partnerships and attracting donor support.
The Vice President for Advancement, reporting to the President, is responsible for providing leadership for the Mount’s development offices and alumni services including oversight of the National Shrine Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes. The Vice President provides leadership for comprehensive fundraising campaigns to enhance the mission of the University. The Vice President for Advancement is the chief strategist in seeking philanthropic support for the University. This is a senior executive position, appointed by the President and serves at the will and pleasure of the President.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Some of the major responsibilities include:
1. Develop strategies and implement initiatives to increase fund-raising in support of the University’s mission and vision.
2. Promote the University’s mission, vision and reputation at the local, regional and national levels.
3. Provide leadership for the following offices:
- Development (includes Planned/Major Gifts/Parents/Advancement Services)
- Seminary Development and Alumni Engagement
- Alumni Engagement (Annual Fund)
- Corporate and Foundation Relations
- Athletic Development
- National Shrine Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes (includes Development/Gift Shop/Cemetery)
4. Develop and execute marketing strategies and promotional materials to support fundraising efforts and enhance the University’s regional and national reputation.
5. Develop and coordinate the implementation of fund-raising strategies and priorities with the President and Vice Presidents.
6. Provide leadership for annual giving and the alumni annual fund with an aim toward improving performance and participation.
7. Develop new strategies to expand the donor base.
8. Ensure the integrity of all development operations including establishing and recommending budgets and monitoring revenues and expenditures.
9. As a member of the President’s cabinet, work collaboratively with senior leadership in assuring that the University’s marketing, communications, financial and operational plans and programs are in alignment with the University’s strategic plan.
10. Serve as a cabinet liaison to the Master Planning and Development Committee of the university’s Board of Trustees.
11. Work with other Board committees as assigned by the President.
12. Other duties as assigned by the President.
Job Requirements: Education, Experience and Skills:
- A Bachelor’s degree (required), although a Master’s degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated personal experience in effectively engaging potential donors and benefactors to donate significantly to a non-profit organization. Experience in higher education is preferred but not required.
- Ability to provide effective and appropriate leadership and expertise to all levels within the University community as well as the alumni population.
- Extensive experience in marketing, communications, and a demonstrated record of excellence in planning, organizing, managing and strengthening a comprehensive development and alumni relations program, which includes major capital campaigns.
- Practicing Catholic is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to develop and oversee strategic initiatives in accordance with established timelines.
- Possess advanced project planning skills.
- Previous experience in employee supervision, development, and performance management.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
This is a full-time position with full benefits and annual, holiday and sick leave. The university offers a generous benefits package, including tuition remission for graduate and undergraduate classes at Mount St. Mary’s University, retirement program with a match as well as a generous paid time off schedule. Competitive salary commensurate to experience.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert