Vice President, Student Affairs
- Salt Lake Community College
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Commensurate with Experience
- Posted Date
- Feb 28, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
The VP for Student Affairs is responsible for providing visionary leadership, and mission-aligned direction for all student affairs departments at the College. The Vice President serves as the chief advocate for and champion of all student issues and works to strengthen equity, representation, and compassion across the division. As a member of the Executive Cabinet, the Vice President works collaboratively with other Vice Presidents to achieve the College’s strategic goals, with an emphasis on academic and workforce relationships to ensure strong recruitment, retention, and completion. The Vice President represents the President as needed at the local, state, and national level and serves on College, Board of Trustees, Utah System of Higher Education, and other community committees.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
Work in collaboration with the Executive Cabinet to set vision, mission, and strategic goals and to champion those across the College. Provide leadership to promote inclusive and equitable teaching and learning environments. Demonstrate active involvement and high visibility across the College to ensure strong, trusted relationships and clear, effective communication. Keep abreast of national and local trends and innovative practices to ensure high quality, effective and pro-active approaches.
Staff Leadership, Accountability and Development:
Establish and promote a strong, equitable, well-informed, and positive workplace culture across the division. Meet regularly with staff to assess effectiveness of departments, provide support and encouragement, constructively solve work-related issues, discuss employee performance, and provide professional development opportunities. Oversee yearly goal setting, planning and assessment activities for Student Affairs departments including the development, research, and publication of results. Use data and planning to markedly close performance gaps. Assist students, faculty, staff, and visitors in resolving problems and difficulties.
Student Leadership Development and Advocacy:
Work directly with the Student Association, Athletics and all student engagement departments to provide student development and leadership opportunities. Ensure students are represented and involved in institutional discussions, leadership and event planning, and funding and governance areas.
Fiscal Health and Accountability:
Develop, allocate, and monitor all Student Affairs budgets to effectively compensate staff and maintain high quality, innovative and productive Student Affairs programs. Identify areas where donor or grant revenue could strengthen and supplement budgets and work collaboratively to secure.
Collaborative and Innovative Relationships:
Build partnerships with Provost, Academic Deans, and faculty to facilitate collaborative and innovative programs that engage students and promote learning in and out of the classroom. Work with colleagues to improve enrollment efforts through strategic and comprehensive planning, assessment and change efforts. Build relationships with donors, legislative leaders, and community members to share SLCC’s vision, mission and increase profile.
Judicial and Policy Integrity:
Ensure student judicial and regulatory processes are in compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Interpret and implement College policies to establish consistency and equity in all phases of student experience. Act as final decision maker in judicial appeal cases.
Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Master’s degree in Student Affairs, Education, Leadership, Administration, or related field.
Seven (7) years paid full-time work experience in student affairs, with a record of progressive responsibility and positional leadership.
Doctorate in Higher Education Leadership or related field.
Experience leading in the community college environment.
Experience serving in a Hispanic Serving Institution and/or a Minority Serving Institution preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in leading and developing Student Affairs programs including student enrollment services, student engagement and leadership development, student support services and athletics.
- Demonstrated experience in working collaboratively with colleagues from across the College to improve recruitment and retention efforts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience supporting inclusive pedagogies, academic and workforce programs and collaborative approaches to student success.
- Demonstrated success in embedding inclusive and equitable practices, programs, and policies across the College.
- Familiarity and experience with technology-based solutions to strengthen student success processes.
- Demonstrated background in data informed decision making and program review/ evaluation systems.
- Demonstrated record of high visibility within the college community.
- Demonstrated experience in assessing outcomes and innovating for success.
- Experience in fund-raising and/or identifying alternative funding sources to strengthen revenues.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and monitoring budgets and identifying efficiencies.
- Demonstrated experience interpreting and ensuring compliance with governing board policies, student codes and regulations, and regulatory standards relating to student organizations and services.
- Build strong, productive and trusted relationships within and between College areas to strengthen student success and workplace environment.
- Effectively communicate across divisions and levels within the institution to share vision and expectations as well as understand diverse perspectives.
- Build and deliver clear, motivational, and strategic presentations to diverse constituent groups including media.
- Effectively interpret and align the Student Affairs division with the vision, mission, and goals of the College.
- Solve problems effectively through sound decision-making processes and collaborative practice.
- Lead, motivate, manage, and evaluate a diverse staff.
- Manage conflict and effectively diffuse tense and/or unproductive situations.
- Lead and manage crisis situations.
Salt Lake Community College is Utah’s largest open-access college with the most diverse student body in the state. We proudly educate over 40,000 students pursuing degrees in 100+ programs across 8 areas of study, and Utah’s fastest growing industries and four-year baccalaureate programs consistently welcome SLCC graduates. Every SLCC employee has a hand in transforming students’ lives to strengthen its surrounding communities. SLCC employees work at 10 locations across the valley and capital city of Salt Lake with easy access to the beautiful Wasatch Mountains, world-class outdoor recreation, sporting events, museums, history, and arts and entertainment.
Salt Lake Community College seeks and values contributions from each community member and welcomes new and diverse perspectives. A respectful work environment is its top priority; academic excellence and lasting transformation come about when diverse voices can speak and collaborate freely. As an emerging HSI, SLCC leads the state with the highest enrollment of students from the Latinx/a/o community. SLCC is committed to serving diverse students and being a model for inclusive and transformative education.
Additional Application Instructions:
We welcome applications at https://jobs.slcc.edu/postings/54917. The Vice President of Student Affairs position will remain open until filled, but applications received by March 21, 2023 at 5pm MST will receive priority consideration. More information about Salt Lake Community College benefits: https://i.slcc.edu/culture/benefits/index.asp
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert