- Kentucky State University
- Kentucky, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Feb 27, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Science, Technology & Mathematics, Biology & Life Sciences, Biotechnology & Bioengineering, Geology & Earth Sciences, Mathematics, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Criminal Justice & Criminology
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- TITLE: Adjunct Biology – Anatomy &
DEPARTMENT: School of Sciences, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
REPORTS TO: Chair of STEM
EFFECTIVE DATE: TBD
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Part-time, as needed
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
The School of Sciences, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) at Kentucky State University (KSU) invites applications for an Adjunct (non-tenure-track) position in Biology at an Instructor or Assistant Professor level, effective March 1, 2023. At a minimum, a Masters in Biology or Biologically related field is required. This position will teach Human Anatomy & Physiology courses in possibly an 8-week or 16-week framework. In-person instruction is desired, but an online teaching format would be acceptable. Candidates who are all but Ph.D. degree (ABD) will also be considered. Candidates with experience in teaching Human Anatomy and Physiology are desired. Experience working with students with diverse learning styles and backgrounds is desirable.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Candidates will prepare course materials, deliver instructions, and engage a range of diverse undergraduate students in learning foundational knowledge, and skills essential for biology and biological-related curriculums.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Our School of STEM takes a Learning-Centered approach to course curriculums:
- Responsible for assisting, guiding, coaching, and facilitating undergraduate students with constructing knowledge through gathering, synthesizing information, and integrating it with the general skills of inquiry, communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving. Candidates will develop a class culture that is cooperative, collaborative, and actively supportive of students involved with the course materials, and instructions, and keeping up with formative and summative evaluations.
- Responsible for delivering course content in a student-receptive manner, the knowledge, skills, and experiences each student needs to successfully achieve course learning outcomes as outlined in the course syllabus. Create, post, and articulate course learning outcomes or objectives to ensure student understanding of course learning objectives and expectations.
- Responsible for creating and posting a course syllabus, and a class schedule for each class being taught during each semester. Create course curriculum, upload or provide course handouts, lectures, labs, presentations, and other course materials required to deliver course information understandably and interestingly to ensure students are engaged with course materials to achieve course learning outcomes.
- Responsible for creating and posting course rubrics to assess each student’s performance related to the course’s learning objective and to identify areas for student improvement.
- Responsible for assisting students in mastering course material by being available through “office hours” and at other times to answer questions and assist students in better understanding the material in one-on-one or small group sessions.
- Responsible for meeting all class periods or communicating weekly (virtual) and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated time.
- Responsible for assigning grades and maintaining course/student records following FERPA regulations and submitting grades and records by established deadlines.
- Perform other appropriate and reasonably required duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- Education Required: At least a Masters’ of Science in Biology or Biological related field or hold a degree in biology or a biologically related field of instruction at least one level above the courses being taught.
- Philosophical alignment with the mission, vision, and core values of Kentucky State University.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in the university setting.
- Strong commitment to teaching at the undergraduate student level.
- Demonstrated ability to create, articulate, and assess course learning outcomes.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in creating course materials (syllabus, handouts, presentations, etc.), which enhance student interest and engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage effective grading rubrics for consistent and uniform grading results.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
- This position requires working in an office and/or classroom setting.
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert